Tow Package Includes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wapiti

Reaction score
I'm looking into purchasing a used 1999 - 2001 Expy.
I'm will be towing a 3000 lb popup trailer and was wondering if any of you had a list of what the tow package includes.

When looking at two side by side, I noticed the radiator was larger on the one with the tow pack. I also noticed a larger rear diff on one.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I believe the oil filter has been relocated to an easier location for oil filter changes. I think it's on the passenger side, just in front of the passenger wheel wheel and behind the front bumper.

I think you also get a transmission cooler with the tow package.

Other than that, I'm really not sure what else.

G

Don't forget the obvious, the class III hitch, built in 7 wire plug, and on some...the air susupension....

Also, its not a bad idea to change the transmission fluid. Whenever I buy a used vehicle, I always change ALL fluids immediately. I do this due to the fact that I know, that whoever you are buying it from, probably wants to get as much as they can out of it..and spending $$ on oil changes etc just before the sale...could be a low priority. I also think, that alot of people, even though they change the oil regularly, forget about tranny fluid. Good luck :)

G

I have 1999 4x4 with the 5.4L. I bought it used and it didn't come with a trailer hitch and am guessing it probably doesn't have the trans cooler either. It does have the wiring plug in the back, but I don't think it's the 7 plug. It's about an 1inch tall and a 3 or 4 inches wide. My question is, if I have a class III hitch installed (by uhaul or someone) would I still be ok in towing a 4000 pound boat occasionally. I was thinking of towing it 300-400 miles to Kentucky this summer. What do you guys think.

G

My XLT 4x4, 5.4L, Tow Package, I believe states 8000 lb max, 500 lb tongue weight. I am not an expert but I don't see why you would have problems. I would also recommend against running in OD while towing. Even with my motorcycle trailer, I am out of OD. Burn a little more fuel but save your drivetrain. Your owners manual should have more to say about this issue :) I Good luck

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Factory tow package for 4x4 models (for 1999 at least) included the receiver hitch, trans cooler and 7-wire plug. Differential size is independent of the towing package. The package was available on 4.6 (like mine) and 5.4 models.

On 4x4s, air suspension (4-wheel) was a stand-alone option, not coupled with the towing package. I think the towing package on 4x2's required the rear air suspension option.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chris420