Tow Package or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

destination

Reaction score
Could use some advice on how important the tow package really is for my intended uses.

I'm considering picking up a good deal on a 2018 XLT - much fewer to choose from if you have to have the HD Tow Package for 9k. I usually go for max spec, but with the other packages I want, this ends up adding a lot more than just the $1500 HD Tow package to the price.

I'm planning to tow 2-3 times per year about on a 1000 mile trips in the summer - about 2-3k pounds boat and trailer plus five people and gear in the truck. Frequent shorter towing of the boat on most summer weekends, 200 mile round trips.

Is the extra cooling and steeper 3.73 ratio worth it for me? Any drive-ability concerns or experiences with the 3.31 ratio to be concerned about?

gtncpa

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I no expert, but from what I have read on this forum you should have no trouble pulling your boat without the HD Tow Package.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like its needed on your end, is the trailer a 4 pin flat connector or a 7 pin with brakes? Not sure what an expy without a tow package has for trailer connection (im assuming either a 4 pin flat or none) but that'll be my only concern and adding a brake controller if your trailer has brakes.

3.31 to 3.73 gears on a daily driven vehicle wont be noticed, and seeing it's not a sport car it wont matter either. Better highway mpg's with the 3.31

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could use some advice on how important the tow package really is for my intended uses.

I'm considering picking up a good deal on a 2018 XLT - much fewer to choose from if you have to have the HD Tow Package for 9k. I usually go for max spec, but with the other packages I want, this ends up adding a lot more than just the $1500 HD Tow package to the price.

I'm planning to tow 2-3 times per year about on a 1000 mile trips in the summer - about 2-3k pounds boat and trailer plus five people and gear in the truck. Frequent shorter towing of the boat on most summer weekends, 200 mile round trips.

Is the extra cooling and steeper 3.73 ratio worth it for me? Any drive-ability concerns or experiences with the 3.31 ratio to be concerned about?

For the specifics you listed, the HD Tow Package is probably not required. But the other considerations are: If you can afford it, why not get the HD Tow Package? If you decide to tow something bigger/heavier in the future, then you are ready to tow it. Plus, when/if you go to sell your vehicle it will be slightly more desireable if it has the HD Tow Package.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The non-tow package Expedition is still rated to tow 6k and will not have an issue with your boat. It is also equipped with wiring for both the factory brake controller(will need to be activated by dealer) or a aftermarket brake controller(has a plug-in and a pigtail is included). Of course the controller may not be relevant since most boats either do not have brakes or are equipped with surge brakes.

OP
OP
D

destination

Reaction score
Totally agree about just having the HD Tow just in case - never know when you might buy a bigger boat. Its really not about cost though, its more about what is available within 200 miles and I'm also one of those people that has to have a deal to pull the trigger.

I'm curious if anyone has towed long distance without the Tow Package - really putting it to the test by going over mountains with 5k+ on the hook or 16 hours of straight interstate at 70+ mph. I'm really more interested in the cooling capacity than the towing capacity at this point.

I saw another thread that pointed out that adding cooling capacity aftermarket is probably not more economical than just getting the package, plus you miss the higher capacity for resale.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The non-tow package Expedition is still rated to tow 6k and will not have an issue with your boat. It is also equipped with wiring for both the factory brake controller(will need to be activated by dealer) or a aftermarket brake controller(has a plug-in and a pigtail is included). Of course the controller may not be relevant since most boats either do not have brakes or are equipped with surge brakes.

You can activate it yourself using ForScan.

The HD tow package has a bigger radiator and an extra trans cooler.
The more you can do to keep these thing cool is a huge plus towing or not.

Do you need it? Nope. Depending upon cost differences I would try to find one with it.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can activate it yourself using ForScan.

The HD tow package has a bigger radiator and an extra trans cooler.
The more you can do to keep these thing cool is a huge plus towing or not.

Do you need it? Nope. Depending upon cost differences I would try to find one with it.
Question (and I promise I am not being argumentative, I am curious): several folks on here have mentioned that the HD Tow Package comes with a trans cooler...where are y'all seeing that?

Here's what the brochure/website says is included in the package on the 2018 (no mention of a trans cooler):
upload_2018-10-23_9-6-42.png

And this is from the 2017 brochure (obvious mention of a trans cooler):
upload_2018-10-23_9-5-31.png

I'm not saying the 2018 doesn't include it in the package, but why omit it from the brochure if it does? Manufacturers are not known for their modesty.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You may be correct and they all include them now with the 10 speed. Though I am almost positive I read the added cooler in a 2018 Brochure back towards the beginning of the year when I bought my 2016 but was researching 18s aswell.