Tow Package or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

destination

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update - I went for the base 200A with the tow package today. Ended up almost $11k under MSRP after all rebates for a truck that had sat on their lot for quite a while (100+ days).

I looked hard at another one with 202A + tow package + sunroof + drivers assistance package. A smaller budge by the dealer on that one off MSRP. Altogether, the net difference between what I bought and this one would have been almost $8.3k.

The argument that finally swayed me was the thought that I might one day want to get a larger boat - also 100% agree you can never have enough cooling when towing. That plus the savings made it an easier decision. Cant always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need.

Thank you all for the sound advice!

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone an update - I went for the base 200A with the tow package today. Ended up almost $11k under MSRP after all rebates for a truck that had sat on their lot for quite a while (100+ days).

I looked hard at another one with 202A + tow package + sunroof + drivers assistance package. A smaller budge by the dealer on that one off MSRP. Altogether, the net difference between what I bought and this one would have been almost $8.3k.

The argument that finally swayed me was the thought that I might one day want to get a larger boat - also 100% agree you can never have enough cooling when towing. That plus the savings made it an easier decision. Cant always get what you want but sometimes you get what you need.

So sayeth Jagger, glad you are happy with your decision. Did you go STD or Max, and where dah pics????

BenG

Reaction score

Could you please post the IPC code that you have? I have a base xlt 200A 4xx4 without tow package and I installed the IBC by myself and so far I have not figure out the code to enabling the IBC.

BenG

Reaction score
I did a bit of research and found that the latest Forscan release does not support configure/program IPC module on 2018 Expedition yet.

Re: 2018 Expedition IPC Module Write Issues
Post by CodeMusic » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 am

While FDRS is a cloud-based system that is just for the software access. It is just a matter of time until we understand the new protocol and can have an updated ForScan; however, it is more difficult with the source software being cloud-based. However, if an employee monitored pin activity while running actions they could come up with a mapping that could, in turn, be used for an FDRS protocol implementation into ForScan.

Lots of fun work ahead (as a developer).
That all said,
I have heard some success writing to certain modules and success with reading with the current ForScan... which suggests some of the traditional protocols may still be in place. However, I am nervous to hook up my ELM327... I guess for a test read wouldn't hurt, to at least see if I get that far.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have reconfigured several modules on the 2018(BCM,APIM,SCCM). The only one that I could not write to so far is the IPC module, it just rejects the write. Doesn't hurt anything.

BenG

Reaction score
Unfortunately, enabling IBC is under IPC(if I am not mistaken) :(

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, enabling IBC is under IPC(if I am not mistaken) :(
Unfortunately it is and means a trip to the dealer to activate. It should still be less than having them do a complete brake controller install.

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FWIW, it's dag near winter, how much towing you two plan on doing the next 4-5 months? I'd take the wait and see approach, to give the keyboard jockeys at Forscan time to "catch up".