Tow package question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I know some folks have retrofitted the HD transmission cooler and claimed it was plug-n-play using the Ford quick connectors. HD engine radiator is a bit more work and from photos I've seen is no more than 1/4" to 1/2" thicker.

For a 2007 vintage Gen3 these parts are probably available at your local auto salvage yard as well as the entire steel rear bumper with the connectors already in place or at least the holes. You (or anyone else!) may be able to get by without these two items if you're closer to the 6000 pound than 9000 pound max towing capacity weights. You're still gonna want a WDH for more than 6000 pounds. An OBD2 plug in scan gauge monitoring coolant and transmission temperatures will tell you if and what upgrades are necessary.

The wiring should already be there albeit not connected and a 7 pole connector kit is available from places like Etrailer. Same for the brake controller connection under the dash. May need a fuze and relay which was in my glove compartment. Dealer may have swiped yours.

-- Chuck