Tow package question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2007 ford expedition xlt, I can't tell if I have the 6000 lb tow or 9000 lb tow package and I can't find anything that that specifies the differences except the 4 and 7 pin connector, I have the 4 pin. I was told by the local ford that they don't know, no surprise there even when I gave them my vin, and because I have a spot to plug in the aftermarket trailer brake controller they think I have the 9000 lb tow. Can anybody tell me what to look for? I already tried the sticker in the driver's door like suggested and it doesn't say.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the 2007 tow guide, you need HD Tow. No surprise there.

The 2007 brochure lists the below components in the package:

Heavy-Duty Trailer Tow Package — Includes Class IV hitch receiver, 4-pin and 7-pin connectors, heavy-duty auxiliary transmission oil cooler, heavy-duty radiator and electronic brake wiring kit

As far as I can tell, the easiest way to tell if you have it is to check for class IV hitch (Class III is standard) or see if you can pull a part number from the radiator. Also, it appears the 4-pin was standard and the 7-pin was part of HD Tow. Good luck.

OP
OP
L

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thank you JasonH. Now my next question, mine does have the class 4 hitch, so if I were to replace those other parts with the heavy duty versions would that work for pulling the 9000 lbs or not?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The presence of the Class 4 hitch suggests that you have the HD Tow package. Are you sure there's no 7-pin plug? According to the vehicle brochure the 7-pin came with the HD Tow as well. The HD Tow also included prewiring for the brake controller, which you appear to have. If you have HD Tow you can pull 9,000 lbs with a properly configured weight distribution hitch. As a practical matter, you'll find that the payload will be your limit instead of the 9,000 tow limit. This number is on the door sticker.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My last Expedition was a 2007. The 7pin "RV" connector only came with the HD tow option. For 2007 at least this is an indication you don't have HD Tow (not always true for other model years).

Grab the 2007 Ford towing guide and locate page 14 with all the items included with HD Tow (536). It's possible to retrofit all this with a bit of effort. The HD radiator is just a little thicker and the transmission radiator is slightly bigger.

-- Chuck

Anchorclanker

Reaction score
If my memory serves (sometimes it does) 6,000 LB is without a WDH and 9200 is with one. If you don't have the 7 pin you can add one pretty easily. The wire for trailer brakes is there, it's capped off (blue) at the end of the wiring harness under the bumper. I added a 7 pin to my 08 LTD and tow a 5k trailer with no issued at all.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Close but... :)

According to the 2007 (and 2008) owners manual the maximum trailer weight is 6000 pounds regardless of WDH unless HD Tow package is fitted. With HD Tow it's 9200 (4x2) or 9000 (4x4) if using a WDH. WDH handles the tongue weight and the other HD items in the package handle the rest.

5000 pounds is fine with either tow setup.

-- Chuck

jpritter

Reaction score
My guess is that if you don't have a 7 pin connector, you do not have the HD Tow package (which includes the trans cooler). I would hesitate to tow anything over 6000 lbs.