Tow rating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 6,600 rating is the highest you can tow without a weight distributing hitch, that's why your getting confused. Once you go over the 6,600 Ford requires a weight distributing hitch to reach the 9,200 pound max. That's why you are seeing two specs. One on the chart will be "Max Towing Capacity" and under that will be "Max towing with weight distributing hitch"

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 6,600 rating is the highest you can tow without a weight distributing hitch, that's why your getting confused. Once you go over the 6,600 Ford requires a weight distributing hitch to reach the 9,200 pound max. That's why you are seeing two specs. One on the chart will be "Max Towing Capacity" and under that will be "Max towing with weight distributing hitch"

This is right. You can tow the higher rating but probably don't want to attempt it with out a WD hitch

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, if you have load-leveling suspension, you'll want to read the manual carefully around using a weight-distributing hitch. It will require a fair bit of adjustment until the rear suspension adjusts properly.

You can use Ford's VIN check to show your entire build sheet here: https://www.etis.ford.com/

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score

I don't tow a trailer and know nothing about it so please forgive my ignorance. But looking at this towing guide I noticed it mentions that, while driving, the TBC slider should not be used to independently activate the trailer brakes if the trailer is swaying. I'm just curious, if you are in a situation where the trailer is swaying, wouldn't it be helpful to let the expy coast and apply some trailer braking to help stop the sway and straighten it out? Since they advise against this I must be wrong but can't figure out why.

B-McD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you have your TBC set up right, if the trailer starts swaying you apply the Expy brakes gradually to get things back in line. Only using the TBC could be unpredictable as those trailer brakes are not real sophisticated. The slider is used to help set up your brake bias on each trailer you hook up.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't tow a trailer and know nothing about it so please forgive my ignorance. But looking at this towing guide I noticed it mentions that, while driving, the TBC slider should not be used to independently activate the trailer brakes if the trailer is swaying. I'm just curious, if you are in a situation where the trailer is swaying, wouldn't it be helpful to let the expy coast and apply some trailer braking to help stop the sway and straighten it out? Since they advise against this I must be wrong but can't figure out why.

The Expedition has built in sway control. I experienced it the last time I was towing in heavy winds. Any time sway would get too bad the ecu would automatically apply the breaks and slow you down to stop the sway. At first it was rather alarming until I figured out what was going on then after that it was pretty reassuring because the system works quite well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65