Towing 3000lb boat - OD on or off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smoedog

Reaction score
I just bought a little 17 ft boat. I have an 05 king ranch with the hd tow package. Do I need to shut off OD while towing or not.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I just bought a little 17 ft boat. I have an 05 king ranch with the hd tow package. Do I need to shut off OD while towing or not.

I leave mine on unless I am negotiating hills where it may frequently shift in and out of overdrive. Owners manual should tell you the same.

Last edited:

BlimpinDave

Reaction score
I have an 08 EL. I took a dual axle U-Haul trailer from Anchorage to Yuma AZ. Trailer weighed somewhere between 2k and 3k. I never had an issue with the mountains in Canada or Alaska with the transmission hunting. Granted it is a lot less wind resistance.

rburch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are benefits to both. With overdrive on you get a little better fuel economy. With OD off the computer changes the shift points and turns off overdrive. With the shift point changes you can get up to speed faster by keeping the shifts in the optimum power ranges. You also dont get the early shifting at part throttle. And helps with braking by downshifting.