Towing and offroading impressions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the 4-runners, JGCs, etc is the payload sucks. By the time you get the wife and kids, car seats, etc in it, there’s no more than a couple hundred pounds left for tongue weight.
QFT. Let's all say it together: "tow rating is meaningless without payload." If you're single, no kids, and just want to tow a boat to the lake, or you're retirees with a small-ish travel trailer and little gear in the car, all of the above may suit you well. But if you have a family AND want to tow, there aren't a lot of options. Throw in offroading too and you're asking quite a bit. The Expy/Navi is IMHO the best compromise available (or I wouldn't have bought it lol).

Honestly if you want to live the RV lifestyle, have a family, (i.e., have a lot of stuff) and still want to do serious offroading, get a motorhome and tow your tricked out Jeep behind it. Park the RV at the trailhead and then get wheelin' in a proper vehicle. Plenty of options for various use cases, preferences, and budgets.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly if you want to live the RV lifestyle, have a family, (i.e., have a lot of stuff) and still want to do serious offroading, get a motorhome and tow your tricked out Jeep behind it. Park the RV at the trailhead and then get wheelin' in a proper vehicle. Plenty of options for various use cases, preferences, and budgets.
The key point here is the ‘live the rv lifestyle’. I’m trying to avoid that while still being able to remote camp with relative comfort. If I wanna rough it I distance hike. If I want a base camp for multiple activities I’ll do anything to avoid a designated RV campground.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The problem with the 4-runners, JGCs, etc is the payload sucks. By the time you get the wife and kids, car seats, etc in it, there’s no more than a couple hundred pounds left for tongue weight. The only real exception is the current generation Discovery. 7500lbs towing, more payload than an Expedition and in a whole ‘nother league off road. The only reasons I didn’t buy one is I wanted room behind the third row and 8 passenger seating.
We really needed 3rd row seating as well. My wife’s family is out of state and fly out a couple times a year. Having to take two cars is just a flipping nightmare. So looking for 3rd row with real 4x4 narrows down choices super quick.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed my 6600 lb (fully loaded) Airstream across the county for 6 years with a 2012 Dodge Durango Hemi. It did just fine. I put it on the scales and everything was within limits (barely), full loaded with people, dogs and toys.

It was time for a new vehicle so we just got an Expedition Platinum with the heavy duty towing package. I'm looking forward to the extra room and to the extra torque in the Rockies. The Hemi did ok, but this should do way better.

OP
OP
D

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I towed my 6600 lb (fully loaded) Airstream across the county for 6 years with a 2012 Dodge Durango Hemi. It did just fine. I put it on the scales and everything was within limits (barely), full loaded with people, dogs and toys.

It was time for a new vehicle so we just got an Expedition Platinum with the heavy duty towing package. I'm looking forward to the extra room and to the extra torque in the Rockies. The Hemi did ok, but this should do way better.

The Hemi does great but the size of the durango doesn't match the expedition. I have been shocked how effortlessly the ecoboost tows. Everytime I drive it I am super happy with my decision.

Just towed a lighter trailer maybe about 1500lbs total weight (kayaks, paddle boards, etc) from Salt Lake to Bear Lake and averaged 20mpg. Pleasant the whole time. I would be open to another 6-12 inches of cargo space though!

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I finally hit 1,000 miles so I hitched up the Airstream. I drove it down to a level parking lot so I could adjust the WD hitch. Turns out it didn't need any, it is set up just fine. I did the wheel well measurement method, I'll check it on the scales when we are on the road with it and make any tweaks if needed.

So I towed a total of 5 miles. 2.5 downhill and then 2.5 uphill back home. It was great. Tow/haul mode kept the right gear so I barely braked all the way down. The the RPMs stay nice and low back up. I'll this weekend to a place about an hour and a half away, so I'll get better idea.

But initial reactions are very positive!