Towing before 1000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcmoss

Reaction score
The mannual suggest that you should wait 1000 miles before towing. What can happen to your truck if you don't wait the full 1000 miles to tow a trailer. Lets say you start towing at 200 miles? Before I bought my truck I told the dealer I was going to Colorado in a few weeks and I was going to tow my 4000lb. trailer. He did not say anything about driving 1000 miles before towing.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they either dont know or dont care...they want the sell...what you do when you do it is none of their concern...

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It could make sense, kinda like you need to break in a new engine... but I have never heard that before. Hopefully some one with a newer expy will know :)

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
If you do not properly break in a new motor the rings may not "seat" properly. This could increase oil consumption and reduce efficiency/power output of motor as you may get more "blow by" Breaking in a motor just consist of basically taking easy on it for first 500 or so miles. This puts less stress on the rings and gives them a chance to properly mate to new cylinder walls.

Towing puts heavy stress on motor!!

Thus the reason why ford suggest no towing for 1000 miles.

So its basically up to you if you feel its worth the risk.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
It's not just the engine that needs to be broken in. The trans and ring and pinion gears need to 'bed in'. If you tow a heavy trailer before those gears break in, they could overheat and you'll end up with problems down the road.

OP
OP
D

dcmoss

Reaction score
thanks

Thanks for the info. I did tow the trailer for 150 miles. I hope it couses no damage. I am going to try to put some good miles on the truck before I head to Colorado in two weeks. I should have close to 1000 miles on it by then. I didn't see anything in the manual that towing before 1000 miles voided the warranty. So I guess Ford dosen't see it as much of a problem.

OP
OP
D

dcmoss

Reaction score
If you do not properly break in a new motor the rings may not "seat" properly. This could increase oil consumption and reduce efficiency/power output of motor as you may get more "blow by" Breaking in a motor just consist of basically taking easy on it for first 500 or so miles. This puts less stress on the rings and gives them a chance to properly mate to new cylinder walls.

Towing puts heavy stress on motor!!

Thus the reason why ford suggest no towing for 1000 miles.

So its basically up to you if you feel its worth the risk.

I thought that most car company ran the motors before they install them to for problems like that. Am I wrong?

2000eb

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my uncle was a mechanic at the yota dealership when i bought my corolla he told me the motor is broken in before you get it.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah they have to be. cause you get idiot drivers that just TAKE off. and they have to make sure the car works right before just selling it.