Towing boat w/o HD Tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4evrnyt

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2000 Expy 5.4 with the 4r100 tranny. I'm heading down to L.A. to pick up a boat that I have purchased. Boat and trailer wont exceed 3200 lbs. The vehicle does not have the factory tow package installed so it only has the 4-wire harness. How important would you suggest it is to have a brake controller installed?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the trailer has electronic brakes on it, it wouldn't hurt to get a controller just to be safe. At 3200 lbs, you could probably get by without it in a pinch, but if you will going through any mountains, get one.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the weight of my boat, but it is a 17ft bow rider with a 3.0 mercruiser and I don't have a brake controller and no problems with the 37s... just take my time and dont do anything stupid... also the edge cs programmer made a huge difference in towing

Kvou812

Reaction score
Your truck should be able to handle it just fine unless going through mountains as previously stated. A boat that size probably won't have trailer brakes, and if it does it will likely be hydraulic or surge brakes so a brake controller won't do you any good anyway.

Old Guy

Reaction score
towing boats 101

I have towed boats for over 40 years, and I am a licensed captain.

Electric brakes do not last very long on a boat traailer because of being dunked in water, and especially salt water.

Boat trailers have hydraulic brakes with a "surge" activator. Imaging a brake master cylinder bolted to the trailer and the activating rod connectred to the vehicle. When the vehicle stops, the vehicle presses on the brake rod from the momentum of the trailer, and activates the brakes. Simple and effective. Providing they work.
Most states require brakes on a trailer weighing over 3000#, loaded. Check with the state police and find out the limit in your state.
Next, buy a "towing mirror". You will need it to see vehicles in back of your rig. Again, state laws.
Before towing that new boat, check or have checked the wheel bearings in the trailer for water and to be sure they are greased. And the air in the tires.
Otherwise, enjoy your new boat.