Towing boat without HD tow package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 10,000 mile Wisconsin 4th gen looks far worst underneath than that. The steel prep on the suspension and components is complete trash in my opinion. It was brand new and the suspension components were already rusting from it siting on dealer lot 6 months.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It cracks me up that y’all act like the truck is just complete trash, unusable, and would have trouble merging on the freeway without the 3.73. Hahaha

The difference in opinion is probably from our backgrounds. I'm a big power guy, so anytime I see a performance gain I'm all over it. I do agree that other people might not care about the performance of the gearing. My wife would probably hardly notice it unless she drove them back to back.

I did drive a non tow and to my senses it was very far off from what gearing I'd put In a 6,000 lbs car, but again my opinion. Looking at the used units, the tow package appears to bring about twice its initial value beck in resale value, so theres another variable. They both work, so its all good!

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to know I have a unicorn when it comes trade in time lol. Will probably make the move when we get sync 4 and any notable changes.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve pivoted and have it narrowed down two a couple of almost identical 2019 Limited Stealth Packages with HD towing. One is 14k miles. One is 18k miles.

The 14k miles Is $1000 less out the door but I’ve discovered it needs a Transmission valve group/body replacement (or so a service tech believes) due to shift hesitation and a driving rough feeling. Clean undercarriage.

The 18k started life in Canada and has signs of increased early with might be early rust/corrosion levels on the undercarriage. No other history issues. Pics below.

Is a transmission issue at 10-15k miles a warning sign to avoid a car?

Architect ...I sure wouldn't worry about that minor of rust. If some of it is exposed in places that you find visible, it's a pretty easy fix, if you want to conceal it. I don't imagine rust is too big of an issue for you in "non-coastal" Texas ...so it shouldn't get any worse than any other vehicle. As far as that muffler (or cat?) goes, those buggers get so dang hot, they're always the first thing to rust-over. I'd want confirmation that expansion in that formed-lip isn't leaking.

As far as that transmission goes, I 'spose it is a bit of a crap shoot; however, I gotta believe there are a lot of "over reported" issues with these 10-speed transmissions. I know I'm still getting used to the way it shifts. From my review, they never really go 1,2,3,4... thru the gears and instead go 1-3-5-7-9,10 from dead stops and then 2-4-6-8,9,10 when maneuvers (turns, traffic, etc.) never cause you to come to a full stop. It can make the transmission to feel like two different animals under acceleration (to me anyway). I could see how this could make some folks feel uncomfortable or like there's an issue.

All that being said there could be an issue for sure ...but even with 15K mileage, you do have another 45K of warranty left (or 4 years). Even though my '19 Limited was new, I still opted for an extended warranty (the Ford Premier). I'm not usually an extended warranty person ...but these dang cars have gotten so expensive, I usually get one on vehicle purchases.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You could ask them to throw in the ford esp or negotiate an offset so you can get one at flood on your own. So far my trans has been good for the 2500 miles I have. Issue seem to pop up on here in the 10-15k range. Don’t have any input on the rust question.

Jst ROM

Reaction score
To OP,

I have a 2008 Ford Expy Limited with no 4x4 it has 210K+ miles on it with HD towing package it's best to purchase the HD towing package. I may not be pulling all 9,200 lbs but it's assurance that I have towing gear to do so. Seasonally I tow 21ft center console with a Yamaha F200 on a tandem trailer made from McClain. It's not a fancy trailer but it gets the job done. The only thing that was altered to it was I've changed all the lighting to LED's. Most of the time my passenger are either 5-7 people in the Expy while we carry 2 ice chest and a swarm of other fishing equipment on the boat. I live out in Houston, TX we may not have hills but it takes me about a good hour drive to Texas City **** to launch out. My Expy has no problem in climbing the Fred Hartman Bridge or the Sidney Sherman Bridge and if there are high winds against me on these bridges I turn on OD (overdrive), and it will climb with no hesitation.

Hope this helps you on your decision, good luck.

AmpForE

Reaction score
It will tow that amount just fine, but the HD pack adds towing tech for backing up, and an eLSD to ensure torque is going to the wheel with grip.

You also need to consider if you buy a heavier boat and set up. Outside of that just get what you want.

Last edited: