towing performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim Fiers

Reaction score
Is there anything you can do to increase engine performance while towing. I have a 2004 Expy 4.6 ltr towing a 5300 lb travel trailer. I get horrible MPG at around 8 if I am lucky and my rpm's are around 2800. You would think the truck would have enough to pull this camper but its really sluggish, in Florida the only elevation we have are bridges so I am really concerned for a future camping trip in the blue ridge mountains. Would taking it to a performance shop help any or do I just need a bigger truck? Is it worth it to put the 5.4 ltr in it?

Thanks in advance

kmaysob

Reaction score
you're never going to get good mileage towing, those two just don't go together. Power wise, the biggest change you could possibly make is the rear gear. You would need to see what it has in it currently. With changing that, you will still get bad mileage and it will increase the highway rpm.

There are some tuners out there that may add a small amount of power, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have the 5.4 and towing my car hauler trailer with my side by side on it is around 5k lbs. Climbing mountains can be a challenge at times.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you're going to routinely be towing or towing in the mountains, I would really be looking at an F-250 with the gearing and brakes to do the job safely. If you're just doing a once a year haul then you'll just have to take it slow and struggle through it. But yeah, in the mountains you're going to be hurting. There's no performance shop that can help that, but I'm sure there are plenty that will take your money.

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
If you're going to routinely be towing or towing in the mountains, I would really be looking at an F-250 with the gearing and brakes to do the job safely. If you're just doing a once a year haul then you'll just have to take it slow and struggle through it. But yeah, in the mountains you're going to be hurting. There's no performance shop that can help that, but I'm sure there are plenty that will take your money.
Exactly right. Plenty of promises out there but the reality is our monsters do their primary job exceedingly well and are pretty good when adding towing. But cant compare to those vehicles built to tow.
8MPG, while bad, isnt bad at all when you consider you are almost tripling the vehicle weight.
If you do go the "tuning" route just remember to save for that bigger engine when the 4.6 gives up the ghost.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not towing in the mountains or anything here but when I'm loaded up in our 03 w it packed with a family of 6 and as much gear as we can safely pack in it and go to Tennessee where the in laws house boat is, there is a quite steep winding incline to get out of there, its pedal to the floor and a slow climb for nearly a mile. The 5.4, even with the 3.73 isn't as much of a beast as you think. I can tell you that almost everyone who's hauling a boat that's probably in the weight range of your camper has a proper truck to make it out of there.

Tuning, as in flash a tune is likely to do almost nothing in this instance. Installing a super charger w a proper tune might. Then again you could probably take that $, plus what your current ride sells for and buy a truck that will handle it properly.

There is an ecoboost EL platinum that gets the job done, I've seen that guy a few times. Totally different animal there though.

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 5.4 on a 5500 lb 28ft dry camper only averaged around 9 or 10 mpg. It always had decent enough power especially with tow-haul on. I noticed towing was sluggish during the first 20-30 minutes of driving. Then the truck would adjust and it would tow better.

I upgraded the trailer to a 7000 lb 33ft. The Expedition did the job however gas mileage went down to 8-9 mpg. The truck was over 15 years old at that point and pretty rusty. I upgraded to a RAM 5.7 with the 3.92 gears. No problems now.

If you have the 4.6, you're over tow capacity. That's probably why you're having trouble.
https://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2004.pdf

bigdogchrisl

Reaction score
My 2003 5.4 on a 5500 lb 28ft dry camper only averaged around 9 or 10 mpg. It always had decent enough power especially with tow-haul on. I noticed towing was sluggish during the first 20-30 minutes of driving. Then the truck would adjust and it would tow better.

I upgraded the trailer to a 7000 lb 33ft. The Expedition did the job however gas mileage went down to 8-9 mpg. The truck was over 15 years old at that point and pretty rusty. I upgraded to a RAM 5.7 with the 3.92 gears. No problems now.

If you have the 4.6, you're over tow capacity. That's probably why you're having trouble.
https://www.trailerlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Trailer-Life-Towing-Guide-2004.pdf
That Ram is no joke. My in-laws tow their 50÷ ft, 3 bump out palace with theirs up and down the Rockies. Last year we had to replace the clutch. I asked Pop when the last time he had to replace it, he stated this was the first time. 327,435 miles...
So, yeah, the purpose built is always better but just may not do everything you want.
Always concessions.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
Is there anything you can do to increase engine performance while towing. I have a 2004 Expy 4.6 ltr towing a 5300 lb travel trailer. I get horrible MPG at around 8 if I am lucky and my rpm's are around 2800. You would think the truck would have enough to pull this camper but its really sluggish, in Florida the only elevation we have are bridges so I am really concerned for a future camping trip in the blue ridge mountains. Would taking it to a performance shop help any or do I just need a bigger truck? Is it worth it to put the 5.4 ltr in it?

Thanks in advance

This summer I've been doing some towing with the 2004 Eddie Bauer edition Expy I bought in February. It's got the 5.4, 2wd with the towing package. I've made a number of trips with either an all aluminum enclosed motorcycle trailer (6.5'x12") or a 6'x12' enclosed steel framed utility trailer. On the highway without a trailer, according to the computer (it might not be entirely accurate but it allows comparison), I see 16 to 18 mpg. As soon as I start pulling one of the trailers, loaded or empty, the mileage goes down to 10 to 12 mpg. It really doesn't seem to matter whether it's in Florida or West Virginia.

Reason is, when pulling a trailer, the trans spends a lot of time in 4th, not overdrive, which kicks up the rpm by several hundred, there goes the fuel mileage. Wind resistance and friction seem to be as much the issue as weight.

OP
OP
Jim Fiers

Jim Fiers

Reaction score