Towing Power 5.4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsfloyd

Reaction score
Need a general idea on the pulling power of a 5.4L in my eddie babu planning on towing a trailer 3500lb trailer thru W VA

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First of all, check out this link to Ford:
http://www.fordvehicles.com/help/guides/haulingandtowing/

Without knowing your model year and model, I did a google search, and without taking too much time, came up with this non-dealer/Ford/etc. review of the towing prowess of a '97 Exby:

"Our '97 Expedition was purchased used in late May 2000, with the primary objective of towing our 19' Travel Trailer. We have taken our trailer out
on 4 trips since we purchased this vehicle, and it has proven to be one
outstanding tow vehicle. We had a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder that we replaced with the Expedition. The hills we towed our trailer over with the
Pathfinder @ 40-45 mph, we now can tow the same hills with the Expedition
@ 65-70 mph, if I chose to tow that fast. The vehicle has a tremendous amount of power, that is greatly suited for towing travel trailers, large
boats, or whatever. The fuel economy does suffer greatly when towing, but
is still alot better than other full size trucks or SUV's. We took a recent trip with our trailer, and got an average 11.4 mpg, for our 1000
mile round trip. I was very pleased, considering our trailer weighs in at
over 4200#."

Later year models had a higher towing capacity, and the EB models usually were set up "Super Cooling", that really made that model set up for towing.

Anyway, make sure of the following:
1) Your brakes are good
2) Tires are good and inflated properly
3) Trailer brake system checks out
4) Plenty of beer in the cooler...............NO - Stike that!!! :cheers:

Happy hauling :D

G

I frequently tow 5200 lbs of trailer over 10,000+ ft passes and have maintained 75 mph in a 40 mph headwind. Your Expy cando it if it's similar to mine. 3500lbs of trailer or boat is a piece of cake.

OP
OP
S

Samsfloyd

Reaction score
Thats a good copy i have a 2003 4x2 but it has a 5.4 and the stndard factory towing package. Really appreciate your response.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mphilli