Towing Travel Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandimom

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I'm new to this forum and it looks like it has some great information. I tried searching threads to see if my questions have already been answered. Unfortunately, I didn't see anything that answered my questions directly.

I bought a 2017 Expedition XLT with the standard tow package. Based on reading it looks like it can tow up to 6600#. Does this mean I can tow up to that amount without any modifications? I've been told that I need a transmission cooler but that only comes in the max trailer package. Is that true? If so can I go to a mechanic and have them add one?

I'm towing a travel trailer that's about 4700# empty and probably close to the max when loaded. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. I don't want the SUV to overheat when towing in the summer.

Thanks everyone!!!

Brandi

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
I have an 07 with tow package and it’s rated 9200 lbs with weight distribution hitch. I tow a 29’ jayco that’s about 7,500 loaded and it does great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Brandimom

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing cjbuckeye. So you’re able to tow that weight with just a standard tow package that doesn’t have an auxiliary transmission cooler?

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
I have the transmission cooler, if you are getting close to the capacity it’s probably a good idea, especially if you you are in hills.

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
Do you have the 7 pin traile connector in the back with trailer brake wiring ?

cjbuckeye

Reaction score
With a travel trailer I would definitely do that, get the trailer brake controller wires and installed.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
You have some work to do.

Owners manual page 207 states the maximum towing capacity is 6000, not 6600. As listed you're gonna be over max rating unless the truck is completely empty -- no passengers, dogs, or cargo. HD Tow kicks that up to 9200 pounds with a WDH which your trailer needs.

HD Tow includes a larger engine coolant radiator and auxiliary transmission radiator. Standard Ford parts. Perhaps a recycling yard can furnish them.

You already know you need new wiring. Your trailer requires working brakes to be legal and you won't get those without the wiring and a brake controller. HD Tow includes the excellent integrated brake controller which posts here indicate can be added. Will need Forscan software on your laptop and a OBD2 cable to activate it.

-- Chuck