Towing...WDH or Not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am about to tow about a 5500-6000 lb trailer/boat about 1100 miles and am wondering about a weight distribution hitch. I know the benefits of one, but is it going to be necessary to tow that much weight? BTW, I have a 2006 5.4 with the HD tow pkg.

Thanks.

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
Common sense would pretty much indicate you would want a WD hitch with 600 pounds or so of tongue weight on your tail. Practically speaking there might be some circumstances where you could trust to luck.
What are you towing? While my experience towing boats is limited I’ll bet a sloop-rigged keel boat will handle a lot differently than a I/O cruiser.
Are you picking up a new rig with an empty truck? You could take it easy the first day, see how it handles, and decide if it needs to be set up on the road (a major hassle) or if you can make it home.
Is it already in your hands? Taking a fully loaded vacation trip? You know how it reacts without a WD hitch. I can guarantee you will find it much more pleasant to tow with one.
Air suspension or ride height control? Definitely need one for the long haul.

Tom.

OP
OP
Stoned06

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom, it is a 25 ft cuddy cabbin weighing in around 4500 lbs dry, so around 5000 wet. Trailer adds another 1000 lbs or so. The places we have talked to in regards of purchasing a trailer for it said the Expy should handle the rig without issue since the trailer and boat should mate up to be balanced on a tandem axel. I am driving to South Carolina for vacation and to pick it up, so the 1100 mile return trip is the concern. My gut says yes, I need it. I just wanted to get some ideas of other's experiences (weight, wdh or not, etc.) in trailering with their vehicle.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My camper weighs about 5000 pounds. I wouldn't roll without the Equalizer WDH.

We have electric brakes, but Equalizer will also work if you have surge brakes on the boat trailer. $399 delivered from RVWholesalers (less ball). We have the 1000/10,000 pound model as our tongue weight is over 600 pounds,

-- Chuck