Towing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timo482

Reaction score
The door sticker of my 2008 expy says 35 psi all around. (One owner survivor looks and drives new) The tires sidewall says max 44 psi. On my 15, f150 I have LT C tires at 50 psi. My expedition tires are nearly new, will I get reasonable sway stiffness running them at 44? All four at 44? Or will I need to swap them to LT C tires???

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What tires? Are they the Michelin Defenders? I tow with mine at 42-43 psi and it works out great. Definitely stiffer and helps with the sway. Towing 30' length TT, 6500lbs.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I usually tow with 40psi cold, which warms up to 43 or 44 while towing. When it came time for new tires I switched to E rated LT tires for extra capacity and peace of mind.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The door sticker of my 2008 expy says 35 psi all around. (One owner survivor looks and drives new) The tires sidewall says max 44 psi. On my 15, f150 I have LT C tires at 50 psi. My expedition tires are nearly new, will I get reasonable sway stiffness running them at 44? All four at 44? Or will I need to swap them to LT C tires???

You didn't say how much weight you're towing. But if it's substantial weight they'll likely need to be at 44. I suggest checking a load chart to make sure you're not exceeding capacity. My "C" tires were mushy at 50 psi. I swapped to "E" and it's much better for towing. I run those at 65 when hitched up.

OP
OP
T

timo482

Reaction score
wild spirit sport hxt tires.. they came on it near new when we got it... at 35 w the 5000 lb max trailer they are a bit squishy. id "like" to not change them out till they are worn, but next will be LT tires

UTEngineer

Reaction score
One common mistake people make is looking at the door jam sticker regarding tire pressure vs verifying the actual pressure on the side wall of the tire. Many times the previous owner replaces the factory “P” (passenger) load rated tires (4-ply) with an increased ply rating for towing, which inherently have a higher maximum pressure rating. We replaced the tires on our 2017 EL Limited with “D” rated (8-ply) BFG all-terrains for towing and better winter traction, but we are also towing near the maximum towing rating of this vehicle. Also installed increased stiffness Hellwig front & rear sway bars which drastically reduced sway and body roll going into corners. But I agree, in the morning before driving inflate the tires to the maximum air pressure on the sidewall of the tire before towing. This will significantly reduce sidewall flex and reduce the temperature of the tires rolling down the road at highway speeds (elevated tire temperature caused by under-inflated tire pressures is one of the most common causes of tire blowouts).

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Higher tire pressure does decrease sidewall flex (and attendant heat buildup) as indicated above and will take a bit of squirm out of the rear end. You can safely inflate the tires to the maximum cold pressure as shown on the tire sidewall. However the maximum carrying capacity of the axle (GAWR) was already achieved at the "sticker" tire pressure which just happens to be the "normal" tire pressure.

Higher than "sticker" tire pressure does NOT increase the maximum carrying capacity of the axle (GAWR) nor does substitution of LT or higher capacity P-metric tires. GAWR and consequently the GVWR of the truck remains the same with the OEM or "better" tires. You'll need suspension and possibly chassis and axle changes to increase the GAWR. If you want the SUV to ride like a Truck fit LT tires. :)

-- Chuck

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
I think I run 40psi in the rear. And have an Equalizer(tm) WDH. Between those and the Ford sway control I rarely experience any thing especially noticeable when the semis blast past. For those of us only towing a few weekends a year the OEM tires -- and maybe a few more psi -- are fine.

-- Chuck