Expedition MAX Trim for Camper Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is my take and this is towing with 2 different expeditions that I have owned. My first was a 2019 XLT Max that had the 18" wheels and I put bilsteins on it. My current is a 2020 Max Platinum with the CCD. Trailer 1 was a 5k max weight and I pulled this trailer with both expeditions. New trailer is 6700 loaded. (I might occasionally be over that)

The XLT with bilsteins I feel was absolutely better at handling the trailer. The CCD does NOT dampen as well as the bilsteins, this was noticeable with just my bike rack and bikes on the expedition. I never felt I needed to do anything else with the XLT to make it tow better.

The first trip with the Platinum and the 5k trailer I could tell things were very different. Now with the bigger trailer it is even more noticeable. Not "bad" but there is much more bounce that isn't controlled as well. I also don't think I love the e2 bar WDH we have on this trailer and might be some of the problem. Previous trailer I had the Reese cam WDH and really liked it. I am seriously considering the proride or hensley hitch now, i am also looking into the swaybars (not just for towing but for everyday driving, kids don't like riding in the back anymore).

I got a flat on my stock tires (22's and the hankooks which I didn't like), we were leaving for a camping trip and the only tire the local place had in stock was the nitto crosstek 2, so I put those on. Not sure I love the tires but they are way better than the stock and the pull with the new tires was noticeably better.

Just my opinions based on my experience so far.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how a CCD suspension works with a WDH system? Do they play nice?
The ccd system only adjusts the compression rate to change the stiffness of the ride feel. It doesn’t impact the spring/load rating or squat etc. For hauling people on different road surfaces I’m not going to lie its been nice to switch to econo mode to soften up the ride on rough roads, normal / sport to sharpen up the feel for twisty roads for car sickness prone passengers that do better with a stiffer less floaty feel.

Dragging trailers? I’m sure the ccd mode is probably in some variation tied to tow/haul mode thats been tested as being the nicest feeling with a heavy trailer in tow. But its not impacting rear suspension sag or the leveling of the trailer vs tow rig

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how a CCD suspension works with a WDH system? Do they play nice?
They work together OK for me too. No bad interactions that I hav found.

Also don’t really love my e2 hitch although mostly it does the job, 7000 pound trailer seems to get blown around too much on really windy days. I am adding LT tires because the factory 285/45 22 Generals are just not stable enough especially when it gets wet out - I will let you know how the new Michelin Defenders (LT275/65 18s) feel after a bit. But I saw them this afternoon and they are massive. (Used wheels are being repainted so it will take a week before I can get them on.)

JohnSC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One quick note to the OP - watch your payload. The Max is a couple hundred pounds heavier empty than the standard you have, with the big family and heavy trailer tongue weight as those kids grow you will quickly exceed the payload especially if you go to the Limited or Platinum.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife and I are in the market to upgrade our 2018 Expedition XLT to a MAX, probably used, but maybe new. We currently tow a camper that weights in about ~6500 fully loaded and tongue weight around 750 lbs. We have 5 kids and are probably looking to stick to the bench middle row. 4x4 is a requirement along with HD Tow package obviously. I've installed the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert in the rear and upgraded the rear sway bar from stock to Hellwig. We also changed from using chains and friction bars to the Reese Dual Cam II WDH which made a lot of difference. Still squishy at full tank of gas but mellows out around 3/4 tank. Stock tires.

I'm looking for recommendations/experiences with camper/trailer towing. Should we get stick with an XLT MAX and just upgrade the suspension (Sway bars, end links, Bilstein shocks and the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert. Probably not going to do LT tires because it's a daily driver) for a better towing experience or should we look to get a Limited MAX with the CCD suspension? Can we do the Limited MAX with CCD suspension and just not replace the shocks?

Thanks for any recommendations.
My 2019 Platinum Max with the towing package had CCD. I used it to tow close to 6k pounds. With a Weighsafe height adjustable hitch and Hellwig sway bars it was fairly well controlled. Sumosprings would have helped with sag if I didn't have the Weighsafe. Based on my research, non-CCD with Bilsteins are the way to go if you do a lot of towing. Seems to be a much better experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire