Expedition MAX Trim for Camper Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlrugby2

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the market to upgrade our 2018 Expedition XLT to a MAX, probably used, but maybe new. We currently tow a camper that weights in about ~6500 fully loaded and tongue weight around 750 lbs. We have 5 kids and are probably looking to stick to the bench middle row. 4x4 is a requirement along with HD Tow package obviously. I've installed the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert in the rear and upgraded the rear sway bar from stock to Hellwig. We also changed from using chains and friction bars to the Reese Dual Cam II WDH which made a lot of difference. Still squishy at full tank of gas but mellows out around 3/4 tank. Stock tires.

I'm looking for recommendations/experiences with camper/trailer towing. Should we get stick with an XLT MAX and just upgrade the suspension (Sway bars, end links, Bilstein shocks and the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert. Probably not going to do LT tires because it's a daily driver) for a better towing experience or should we look to get a Limited MAX with the CCD suspension? Can we do the Limited MAX with CCD suspension and just not replace the shocks?

Thanks for any recommendations.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LT tires are my only upgrade and my EL (Max) tows like a boss. Try the LT tires and see if they ride ok on lower pressure. Many tire shops will let you try tires out.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Years ago I was into modding vehicles, and I upgraded some 1/2 ton trucks for pulling boats. But with todays technology and manufacturers offering very comprehensive HD To packages I prefer to stay stock with components designed by people a lot smarter than me to work together.

We recently bought a Platinum with the HD tow package and CCD suspension. Trailer is a 34 Ft with 6900 dry weight travel trailer. We have about 200 miles of towing on it and am very pleased. We have a long trip coming up very soon. I’ll try to report back here.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '19 Platinum with the HD tow package pulled 5k-6k lbs like it was nothing. If you don't like how your current configuration feels and you don't want to go to more stiff sidewalls than you may want to consider a 4x4 Platinum model. If I were in your shoes, I would go with LT tires and Bilstein's unless you want the mid-cycle refresh updates.

Silver-Bullet-Bus

Reaction score
My wife and I are in the market to upgrade our 2018 Expedition XLT to a MAX, probably used, but maybe new. We currently tow a camper that weights in about ~6500 fully loaded and tongue weight around 750 lbs. We have 5 kids and are probably looking to stick to the bench middle row. 4x4 is a requirement along with HD Tow package obviously. I've installed the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert in the rear and upgraded the rear sway bar from stock to Hellwig. We also changed from using chains and friction bars to the Reese Dual Cam II WDH which made a lot of difference. Still squishy at full tank of gas but mellows out around 3/4 tank. Stock tires.

I'm looking for recommendations/experiences with camper/trailer towing. Should we get stick with an XLT MAX and just upgrade the suspension (Sway bars, end links, Bilstein shocks and the Sumo SuperSprings coil insert. Probably not going to do LT tires because it's a daily driver) for a better towing experience or should we look to get a Limited MAX with the CCD suspension? Can we do the Limited MAX with CCD suspension and just not replace the shocks?

Thanks for any recommendations.
I will only tow serious weight & length with this suv with a Hensley or ProPride hitch!

My family is worth the extra $2,000, or whatever the cost is above a non-projection hitch.

Never ever had a trailer sway incident, with these hitches, or trailer sway alarm activation.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The Expedition needs no suspension modifications to tow a 6,000 pound camper in my experience.

My 6,000-ish pound camper tows "like it's not back there" behind my '17 XLT with HD Tow. 3.5EB engine. Equalizer WDH. Ford OEM brake controller. OEM suspension and tires. If you want this SUV to ride like a truck every day of the year get LT tires and ****** with the suspension. :)

We don't carry a squad of kids but when dry camping I often bring a 35 gallon tank of city water in the back. About 300 pounds of water plus the usual camping "stuff."

-- Chuck

cbphotoguy1

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Expedition Max Limited with 22" wheels and CCD with HD tow package. I tow a 26 foot sailboat, a 12' loaded cargo trailer and a 6500 lb travel trailer and 3000 lb pop-up so lots of trailer experience.

I got this unit after having both a 1500 Sierra V8 and a Ram Hemi 1500. This unit tows better than both. The larger wheels ride harder on the highway but have great control while trailering. I usually use a heavy duty sway hitch with bars/chains but forgot the unit when going to get my big trailer. I picked up and trailered the 6500 lb over 1600 km up and down big hills in the Maritimes averaging 115 - 120 kph and never had a problem with sway without the hitch. The 10 speed transmission did a lot of shifting but there was plenty of power coming up the big hills to pass slow big rigs. The torque was surprising for the 6 cylinder, turbo boost was great for passing and ride was smooth although the mileage was almost cut in half. The seats are so comfortable and my back does not complain after long days of driving like it did with both half tons. I love this unit and I now trailer without concerns. I have put over 70 k in two years without any major problems and fully recommend a Max for anyone who tows. I have friends with newer Tahoes and an Escalade and they seem to be in the shop for a lot of little problems.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely run it on some decent test trips regarding load before you get all into modifications. Stock form is definitely very capable and far more reliable than most of the aftermarket junk. Definitely run the vin to double check the max tow package lots of dealers selling the basic 6000lb max trim to people that need / want the 9200lb max tow version. Do not just take sellers word on the max tow package

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious how a CCD suspension works with a WDH system? Do they play nice?

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
My Equalizer(tm) WDH has worked wonderfully for nineteen (19) seasons on my former Explorer and two Expeditions. Mechanical sway control is connected on hook up. No gimmicks needed. No chains as part of the weight distribution. Easy peasy (once setup!).

Look no farther.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire