TPMS error message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2008 EL expedition has started giving me a TPMS error message every time it rains or I drive for more than 2 hours. I assumed it was the sensors in the wheels (they are 13 years old) so I had all 4 replaced with new motorcraft units, but I still get the same error message when it rains or drive for more than 2 hours. I now have to assume it is the actual receiver that might be getting water inside, can anyone tell me where the receiver is located? I understand on my model that it is a single receiver that receives signals from all 4 wheels (earlier models had receivers near each wheel) but I have no idea if it is located inside the car or outside (I assume it’s outside underneath the car, but welcome any help in finding and identifying it). I want to examine it and see if I can see any signs of water ingress.

thanks Gary

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick question: are you running a cheap phone charger that plugs into the 12v power port?

TUSGJP

Reaction score
Happens with mine, with a plug in blue tooth/USB charger. Plugged into the 12v socket. Tried both ends of FM frequency range, still interferes with sensors. No big deal since I know it's a false message and I keep an eye on tire pressures anyway.

OP
OP
G

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I am not using the 12v power plugs to run anything, thé tpms has worked perfectly for the last 12 years, I have not added or changed anything, but now I get the error message, so I assume something has failed, rather than something new is causing interference.. I agree it’s just an annoyance as I manually check my tyre pressures and know they are good, but would like to fix it if I can, thé car has no other faults and I like to keep everything working correctly..

Herby

Reaction score
Thanks for discussing this topic. I have the same problem that has been driving me nuts.!!!!