TPMS Fault Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnathan M

Reaction score
There was a time when the TPMS system didn't exist, and people would just look at their tires to see if they were low, or check the pressure with a gauge. I turned off the TPMS system in my expedition with Forscan, because it was giving an error message. I just keep an eye on my tires and check the pressure every now and then. No big deal.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the TPMS all changed when I purchased new tires around a year ago so I doubt it’s the battery. Plus when they scanned them they all came back with plenty of battery life in them. Of course, they scanned them when the light was off. But would that make a difference? I think there’s a short somewhere but with the light going off indiscriminately there’s no way to know for sure. And yes, I took it back to the shop that installed them when they replaced the tires. They’re under warranty so it won’t cost them a thing. Therefore no reason to lie about a bad one being good. If I could I would replace them all myself.
Are you sure that they didn't change wheel positions during the tire change? I had mine changed and they pulled all 4 at once and they got mixed as far as position is concerned. Not sure if that could trip a light, but it sure gave me incorrect information on which tire was low. I spent $20 for a TPMS tool to reset everything. What was bad is that I specifically asked if they would make sure that right rear ended back at right rear (and so on) after the change. I dislike big chain tire stores.

callwill

Reaction score
There was a time when the TPMS system didn't exist, and people would just look at their tires to see if they were low, or check the pressure with a gauge. I turned off the TPMS system in my expedition with Forscan, because it was giving an error message. I just keep an eye on my tires and check the pressure every now and then. No big deal.
I will say you are right...with a big but...Was on a trip with a buddy of mine, rolling down the highway after leaving baltimore when the TPMS in my buick reported low pressure in one tire , and that another...both on the same side of the car. Had my buddy search for auto services at upcoming exits. Got off and found a place. Nails in both tires. Went flat waiting and were able to be repaired. Did not have to wait for towing...did not have to replace tires. Godsend!

Orlando Gotay

Reaction score
My 2011 Exp. will sometimes (but always at night) throw in a random fault TPMS code. This is different from low air pressure codes which work as advertised.

I have replaced some, but not all the TPMS sensors over time. As our friend suggested, my fault code resets whenever I restart the engine.

I suspect that this "no communications" code is a function of two things: some type of interference, plus a low voltage in one (or two) sensors.

Does anyone know if Forscan can display individual TPMS data?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just FYI, I replaced my original Expedition wheels (they had plastic covers and all the chrome was peeling off, so they looked a real mess), with a set of F150 alloy wheels, I had to replace the TPMS units as the F150 wheels were more recent and the tpms was not compatible with my expedition, I bought a set of stem mounted tpms units from amazon, and in over a year I have not had a single false or error message from the TPMS system!! As I had used original motorcraft parts i didn’t expect any issues, but the band mounted systems do seem a bit error prone based on my experience. Anyone with the old band system that is getting random TPMS error messages might want to try changing them for stem mounted units, you might get lucky like me and fix the issue!! :)

callwill

Reaction score
My 2011 Exp. will sometimes (but always at night) throw in a random fault TPMS code. This is different from low air pressure codes which work as advertised.

I have replaced some, but not all the TPMS sensors over time. As our friend suggested, my fault code resets whenever I restart the engine.

I suspect that this "no communications" code is a function of two things: some type of interference, plus a low voltage in one (or two) sensors.

Does anyone know if Forscan can display individual TPMS data?
I think a fault message can also be reported if a tire has a significant differential from the others or its pressure is over its limit. I sensors i bought 6mos ago and installed 3 mos ago as one of the old ones was dead. Recently, 4+ hours into a 6 hr trip i got a fault message (this is why i would prefer a system that reports individual tire pressures). I had added air before my trip and took a gauge with me. Checked the tires and one was a bit higher than the others. Took some air out and went on my way. No report of fault after that, nor on the return trip, nor in the week+ following.

Orlando Gotay

Reaction score
Good to know excess pressure may trigger faults!
My fault message says that the sensor is not responding. An intermittent lack of comms makes me think it's either interference, low battery voltage or both.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
You have a bad battery in one of the units, or the replacements are simply cheap garbage. Lots of $8 replacement junk out there that last for a year.