TPMS Fault Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trjc3rd

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anybody else has or ever had issues with the TPMS going off for no reason. I'll be driving and the TPMS light will start flashing then stay on. I'll pull over, stop, turn off the engine, and proceed to check the tire pressure. All four tires read the air pressure perfectly fine. I'll get in and start the engine and the light is no longer on. I've taken it to the auto shop to have the sensors checked, they are all programed correctly with the batteries fully charged. I haven't taken it while the light is on because when ever I turn the truck off the light goes off. The tech said I need to bring it in when the light is on. Problem with that is, I never know exactly when the light will go off. Plus, turning the ignition off makes the light go off even when restarted right away. I don't want to say screw it and turn the engine off every time the light goes off. What if the one time I do that the tire pressure is for real is low and I blow it off, that's a dangerous game to play. I should mention it's a 2007 Expedition EL Eddie Bauer. If anyone has dealt with this or something similar can you say how you fixed it. It's so frustrating. I'm at the point of changing them all but with my luck it'll be something else causing the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thanks all.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Question. Do you have a cheap phone charger plugged in to the power ports in the vehicle?

partytyme

Reaction score
if the tpms is stock i would bet the batterys are going bad i have a 2012 that started doing this too i used FOEScan and turned the warning off for now

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most likely low battery(s). If so, you will have to replace the sensor unit itself and re-balance the wheel. I've been using Autel's scanner and MX sensors for years on multiple vehicles with great results.

OP
OP
trjc3rd

trjc3rd

Reaction score
I had the TPMS all changed when I purchased new tires around a year ago so I doubt it’s the battery. Plus when they scanned them they all came back with plenty of battery life in them. Of course, they scanned them when the light was off. But would that make a difference? I think there’s a short somewhere but with the light going off indiscriminately there’s no way to know for sure. And yes, I took it back to the shop that installed them when they replaced the tires. They’re under warranty so it won’t cost them a thing. Therefore no reason to lie about a bad one being good. If I could I would replace them all myself.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2008 and the TPMS regularly givs a TPMS error message. I assumed it was the batteries in the wheels that where bad, so I had all 4 replaced with genuine motorcraft parts, but the issue still happens, the ford tech told me he thinks it's a problem with the central receiver unit (as the message window states TPMS error, not flat tyre) but the central receiver is built into the main fuse panel and cannot be changed, you have to replace the entire fuse panel and that part is no longer available (and its very expensive), so I now just live with the random error message.. Was annoyed, but have to remember the car is 15 years old and it's the only thing wrong, so really not that big of an issue.

OP
OP
trjc3rd

trjc3rd

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. At least someone shares my frustration, knows what I'm talking about, and thinks that I'm not crazy. I figured whatever that was causing it wasn't going to be cheap to fix. It is what it is and I'll just have to deal with it. Scares me to some degree that I'll get so complacent with it going off sporadically that I'll no longer care. I just know that one of those false errors is going to be a real warning one day and I'm going to ignore it putting myself and family in danger. Ah, the things that keep me up at night. You can add one more to the list.

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had those same worries, but in 15 years of owning my car, I only ever had 1 puncture and have just got used to the random warnings, so now sleep easy, but it is a shame that I can’t rely on it to tell me if I do get a leaking tyre..

Modelcarguy

Reaction score
The stock band type (around the rim near the hub.) TPMS units suck. Same issues with my 08, on multiple occasions. So when the time came for new tires (Costco) they replaced the band units with stem type monitors and I have had zero issues in the last four years.