Trailer Brake Controller for 2018 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shaxs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am now a happy owner of a 2018 Expedition with the 301a package. Yay! I did not get one with the towing package. We tow a tent trailer that is less than 3000 lbs. However, I need to hook up a trailer brake controller to the Expedition. In my research, it looks like I have two options:

1) Use an after market controller. I already have a Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Controller. It is pretty nice. From what I understand, I will need to get access to the wiring harness by dropping the plate under the steering wheel, reaching up and unclipping it from the back of the area where the stock brake controller would be (in my case, its where the super lame looking coin tray is). Correct? I guess I will need to research if I need a specific adapter for the Ford. Looks like I would need the Tekonsha 3036-P Brake Control Wiring Adapter for Ford.

Then I need to find a place to mount the controller so that it is parallel with the ground. I am having a hard time deciding where to mount this. Any suggestions?

2) By the factory brake controller part number JL3Z-2C006-AA. I believe everything else I need is already there. I can then place it in the area permanently where the coin holder is and connect it. However, I then have to go to Ford and have them enable it in the cars ECU correct?

Im leaning towards option 2 and selling my Tekonsha as long as I understand them correctly.

Uturn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My opinion is that option 2 is the best one. The module and wiring is already in place and you are correct in that all that is needed is the switch and to have the dealer activate the Trailer Brake Controller and the Trailer Brake Gain display. It should only be a thirty minute labor charge. Unfortunately the trailer brake programing options are in the IPC , which is not accessible with ForScan.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Then I need to find a place to mount the controller so that it is parallel with the ground.

I've never heard of this. I think you might have mis-read instructions or something.
The orientation needs to be where the front/control side of the unit is facing the rear of the vehicle, meaning you can't install it sideways or backwards. (like forward facing tucked under the front seat, or sideways inside of the center console, etc)

Every controller I've owned has had atleast a 45° tilt on the lower part of the dash, some closer to 75°, but none have ever been 0° parallel with the ground.

Either way, plan #2 sounds like your solid bet. Maybe also consider RedArc Tow Pro Elite for a stealth or factory looking install.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Shaxs

Reaction score
I've never heard of this. I think you might have mis-read instructions or something.
The orientation needs to be where the front/control side of the unit is facing the rear of the vehicle, meaning you can't install it sideways or backwards. (like forward facing tucked under the front seat, or sideways inside of the center console, etc)

Every controller I've owned has had atleast a 45° tilt on the lower part of the dash, some closer to 75°, but none have ever been 0° parallel with the ground.

Maybe I did. It says "Front of the P3 must be horizontal, see below. 2. The P3 must be parallel to direction of travel". I think I read that wrong. Especially looking at the diagram in http://www.tekonsha.com/support/installation/N90195.pdf.

OP
OP
S

Shaxs

Reaction score
I watched a video on installing this in a 2018 F150, and it looks like the expedition would be similar. It looks like a significant amount of the trim has to come off to get this switch installed. Does anyone have directions on what is needed to install the controller in the dash?

Turbrodude

Reaction score
I watched a video on installing this in a 2018 F150, and it looks like the expedition would be similar. It looks like a significant amount of the trim has to come off to get this switch installed. Does anyone have directions on what is needed to install the controller in the dash?

That video is pretty accurate, but not totally clear. I have video I created when I installed mine, but I need to edit it and sew it together into one video to upload to youtube.

Even though I have installed my OEM TBC, I have so far been unable to get the Ford Dealer to activate it. I'm going in for my 3rd attempt this week since they now received instructions from Ford Engineering on how to perform the procedure. And they want to charge me $150 to do something that should take 30 minutes or less. I'm not thrilled about that.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the disadvantage to the P3 if I remember correct, the P2 can be mounted in any position. I have used the P2 in my jeeps and it has been great.

I just installed a Redarc tow pro elite in my brothers GMC Canyon and I really like that brake controller. Very nice unit. That is what I would use if I didn't have the tow package on the expedition.

If you can get the factory one to work that would be great but I have heard from multiple sources they couldn't get it to work.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That video is pretty accurate, but not totally clear. I have video I created when I installed mine, but I need to edit it and sew it together into one video to upload to youtube.

Even though I have installed my OEM TBC, I have so far been unable to get the Ford Dealer to activate it. I'm going in for my 3rd attempt this week since they now received instructions from Ford Engineering on how to perform the procedure. And they want to charge me $150 to do something that should take 30 minutes or less. I'm not thrilled about that.

Call around and talk to other dealers service manager. I had the same issue and called my other local dealers and talked to the service managers and got them to do it for $50.

Bulockay

Reaction score
I installed the factory brake controller myself and had the dealership activate it and it works great. Install was a little tedious with all the trim that has to be popped loose but it didn’t take long to complete. Dealership was done in 45 minutes. I don’t remember what I had to pay them but I’m pretty sure it was less than $100.