Trailer brake controller...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
To those who dont have one factory installed and had to purchase it separately, what or which one do you recommend? I need to order one as my 2005 expedition doesnt have a brake controller but it does have the 7 pin male connector, I can see where 3 of the wires (usually associated with a brake controller) terminate at (on top of where spare tire sits), going to be towing a double axle trailer est. 8000 lbs in two weeks that has brakes and I dont want it to swing past me if I have to stop suddenly... I've done it before but it's too damn nerve wracking seeing I'll be going on a 270 mile trip

Thank you in advance to all who provide feedback

5150 pops

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To those who dont have one factory installed and had to purchase it separately, what or which one do you recommend? I need to order one as my 2005 expedition doesnt have a brake controller but it does have the 7 pin male connector, I can see where 3 of the wires (usually associated with a brake controller) terminate at (on top of where spare tire sits), going to be towing a double axle trailer est. 8000 lbs in two weeks that has brakes and I dont want it to swing past me if I have to stop suddenly... I've done it before but it's too damn nerve wracking seeing I'll be going on a 270 mile trip

Thank you in advance to all who provide feedback

I THINK this might apply to your year model...

Originally Posted by badfish32
I have the exact same problem. I have a 2007 Expedition without the HD towing package and I need to upgrade.

Could anyone please give me the part numbers I need to bring it up to speed?

7 Pin Harness?
HD Radiator?
HD Transmission Cooler?

I don't think I need the Class IV hitch because mine seems to already have it installed. There was a sticker on mine stating that it is a Class IV.

Thanks!!!
These are the part numbers I was given for the harness and brake controller cable. I did not buy them yet but I have seen Ford brake controller cables for much cheaper online. I cannot find the harness cable anywhere but the dealer. I also had looked under my truck and could not find the connector by the spare tire. The existing cabling on there looked like it went pretty far back and I do not know if this cable replaces that one or is in addition to the 4 pin. At this point I am still up in the air if I buy the Ford part number and install it myself or if I just go have someone do it after market. Of course I will probably procrastinate too long and not have it done when I need it this spring.

7 Pin Rear adapter
$150. 7L1214405EA

Brake Controller
$25. 4LIZ-14A348-AA

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my tekonsha prodigy P3. Been running it for 3 years while pulling my car trailer.

Me too. I've got the same one. Used to be a professional job to cut and splice wires to install one. Now they use a wire harness for different makes. So no matter what vehicle you have it's a plug and play harness. I disconnect and remove mine in the off season too.

plumcolr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ditto on the Tekonsha Prodigy. Mounted on the dash directly behind steering column. Super easy to adjust for trailer weight so empty trailer low setting loaded higher setting

OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
@JExpedition07 sorry I forgot to update the thread, thank you for reminding me.

Thanks to my fellow members ( @gixer2000 @CaptOchs @plumcolr ) i went with the tekonsha prodigy P3 & the plug n' play harness for expedition.

I recieved it but I haven't opened the package yet, still debating where I'm gonna actually mount it I dont want it in the drivers footwell, leaning towards mounting it sideways in the passanger footwell over where the side cigarette lighter outlet is but I don't think the harness will reach

Gotta get on it I'm making the trip this upcoming Thursday 11/01/18 and I probably should get it installed and test it while I'm still ahead

Parts I ordered are:
Tekonsha 90195 P3
Tekonsha plug-in wiring adapter #3016

Last edited:
OP
OP
Habbibie

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Also I made the wiring connections needed for the 3 wires that terminated over the spare tire