Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i really tokonsha they have several models... the voyager is the most common and works on 1 & 2 axel trailers i personally use the prodigy it has some fail safe protections and a digital read out... both of these models have the varible pendlem basicly the harder you get the brakes the more power the controller sends to the trailer brakes... hope this helps you out

OP
OP
T

TN_XLT

Reaction score
I had to get one quickly. Only brand around here was Hopkins. I the Reliance model at Walmart for ~$50 + adapter cable for $15.

My trailer is 7'x18' cargo area with dual 3500lb axles (rear axle brake only). My empty trailer weight is 1500lbs.

Only thing I've noticed is I have to dial the number down to about 15-20% to avoid the trailer brakes locking up for an empty trailer.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's typical to have to reduce the e-brake controller significantly for an empty trailer. I have heard Tokonsha were the best, but it sounds like you got a good deal on the one you got.

rick chitown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a tekonsha P3, and absolutely love it! It's got a digital read-out that you can change the display color to match the ford green of the dash. It was like $139, but included the OEM factory harness that was basically plug and play with the factory harness in my Expy.
so I plugged in the harness under the dash, backed out one screw under the dash, mounted the bracket, installed the unit and was up and running in under 10 minutes.
Mine needs minor adjustments depending on load, but otherwise works great! Not to mention, I wont spend a nickel at wally world, it'll probably just get spent on chinese products, or they'll put some family owned store right up the street out of business... Where is the tekonsha made again anyway? lol

Cousin Eddie

Reaction score
Tekonsha is more American than most of us are....it is a Native American name after a city in Wisconsin where thay are made.