Trailer Detection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the 2018 and newer Expeditions and Navigators detect that a trailer is hooked up? I assume it is something in the trailer wiring connector. I wanted to understand this because I would like for the vehicle to detect the trailer is disconnected after I back into my garage before I shut the engine off. I hope to push a button that will make the vehicle think I disconnected the trailer. That will be better for me than leaving the engine on and pulling the wiring connector or remembering to tell the vehicle that the trailer is disconnected after restarting it (I am not even sure how to do this).

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On my Navigator I just plug/unplug... it recognizes hookup/disconnect automatically. The only thing I need to select is which trailer I connected if I have multiple ones programmed into the car, this allows for mileage to be tracked and other settings that are programmed with the trailer to load.

OP
OP
L

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does it properly detect the trailer has been disconnected if you disconnect the trailer when the vehicle is off?

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That’s so weird, I’m 99% sure my Navi does detect this if off. I’ll do this and make sure bedtime I connect but I’m fairly certain I’ve done it a few times already. I have a unreliable memory I guess.

OP
OP
L

lobsenza

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to electrically disconnect the wire that tells the vehicle the trailer is connected and then turn off the vehicle. That way, I can then disconnect the trailer and it will show disconnected when I restart the vehicle. Anyone know which wire(s) I should disconnect to show the trailer as disconnected?

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It might not be that simple - the Expy can tell you if your trailer lights and brakes are functioning, so it must be able to sense current on all the wires. The logic might be "IF any current on any trailer wire THEN trailer is connected". You might have to disconnect all of them. Total speculation here though...

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
weird,
i dont have an 2018..but my 2010 f150, 2013 f150 and my 2016 expy...all instantly tell or told me via the information center that trailer was disconnected as soon as the plug was removed from the 7 pin plug....i cant say about the 4 pin as i never used it.
i would check your vehicle settings menu and ensure its set to notify if trailer is unplugged, which i thought was the default setting.
i did have my 7 pin wiggle loose once and i got a notification the trailer was disconnected

you can always manually engage trailer brakes and you should get a notification if trailer is unplugged

RhinoQuartz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
weird,
i dont have an 2018..but my 2010 f150, 2013 f150 and my 2016 expy...all instantly tell or told me via the information center that trailer was disconnected as soon as the plug was removed from the 7 pin plug....i cant say about the 4 pin as i never used it.
i would check your vehicle settings menu and ensure its set to notify if trailer is unplugged, which i thought was the default setting.
i did have my 7 pin wiggle loose once and i got a notification the trailer was disconnected

you can always manually engage trailer brakes and you should get a notification if trailer is unplugged

Considering the 18 is a completely different generation, it's totally different from the 16.

Although, either way, rather disappointing on a truck like this to not be able to auto detect on startup.