Trailer TPMS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Coincidentally I asked my dealer when I picked up my 2018 XLT for information on the trailer TPMS and the trailer backup camera.

He got back to me today and said the TPMS kit is only for the Super Duty. He's still looking for options for the backup camera (that would be mounted to the back of the trailer and displayed on the Sync3 screen).

Thanks for the info. Please be sure to come back and post what you find out.

OP
OP
E

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this again to see if anyone has new info. To shane_th_ee and Meeker: have either of you made any progress on the issue? I'm going to push my dealer to push harder at Ford to get a straight answer, but maybe someone on the forum has some first-hand knowledge as to whether or not the trailer TPMS actually is available with the 2018 Expy, and also what it takes to get it working? Info about setup is in the owners manual, but so far no one here has confirmed that it can be done.

Meeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bumping this again to see if anyone has new info. To shane_th_ee and Meeker: have either of you made any progress on the issue? I'm going to push my dealer to push harder at Ford to get a straight answer, but maybe someone on the forum has some first-hand knowledge as to whether or not the trailer TPMS actually is available with the 2018 Expy, and also what it takes to get it working? Info about setup is in the owners manual, but so far no one here has confirmed that it can be done.
My dealer got back to me, but I have no confidence that they actually know what the real answer is. They did say that the TPMS is not available for the Expy ("because it only says it's available for the Super Duty"). And he had nothing on the rear camera - I get the impression he's just looking at their online parts order form, so I'm not going to give up yet...
Does anyone know someone with a Super Duty who has both of these contraptions? If there's a physical connector or module we could look for we could figure this out once and for all...

cajubear

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new member. Have ordered a 2021 Expy Limited 4wd, with the Heavy duty trailer package. Trying to find TPMS senors that will work with the sync 3 system?
Has anyone found compatible sensors. Dealer has not been helpful.

cajubear

Reaction score
Thanks, thought by seeing this video () it would work with sync 3 and getting the right TPMS monitors, no mention of the 12 pin connector

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here's a link to the trailer tpms and camera kit. Looking at the included parts, and using simple logic, you would need to mount a receiver near the trailer axles to pick up the tpms signals. TPMS signals are weak. And that receiver would need to be wired back into your Expys CANBus.

I think it's more than just buying tpms sensors.

cajubear

Reaction score
Thanks. I have seen this TPMS camera link, how ever it shows to be for Ford Super Duty pickup application only as far as I can determine. My VIN # won't populate yet as it is being built now, so it doesn't allow me to verify proper application to my vehicle. Otherwise it reverts not showing the Expedition for the application of this part (trailer rear camera and TPMS package:
Genuine Ford
LC3Z-1A189-D
Trailer Towing

Fizzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But the video you shared repeatedly shows a Super Duty pulling a trailer. Not an Expedition.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just fyi lots of great trailer systems now that monitor tire pressure and give you leveling info. I’d rather go that route than forcing some patch work setup on the Tow vehicle system.