Tranny slips in OD and when putting in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JsnMartinez1313

Reaction score
Hey guys. Been having this issue for a while. 2006 Expedition 4x2 Automatic. When driving and I try to get on the gas it slips no matter what gear I'm in. If I turn off the OD then the issue doesn't happen anymore. However, when I first start the vehicle up I have to hold the Brake down and rev a little to get it to jerk in to gear(reverse doesn't do this, only in forward gears whether OD is off or on.) I checked the tranny fluid it doesn't look very clean and it looks to be a quart over filled. I am going to drop the pan and slap a new filer, oil and gasket on it(hopefully, this corrects the issue...I doubt it.) I was wondering if you all think I should be checking other things while I'm down there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What him say! Your pressures aren't high enough to get your front pump pumping, that's why your having to rev engine. By bringing up rpm it's building the pressure to get that pump to get up to pressure. I'd save your money on a drain and fill. Once tranny fluid burns like yours did, changing it usually just makes things worse. No, I'd either rebuild yours, buy a rebuilt one, or take a chance on a low mileage used one. Are you going to remove and replace yours, or have a shop?

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What him say! Your pressures aren't high enough to get your front pump pumping, that's why your having to rev engine. By bringing up rpm it's building the pressure to get that pump to get up to pressure. I'd save your money on a drain and fill. Once tranny fluid burns like yours did, changing it usually just makes things worse. No, I'd either rebuild yours, buy a rebuilt one, or take a chance on a low mileage used one. Are you going to remove and replace yours, or have a shop?

Pour some Lucas thick crap in there to try to get by for a while. Get a used trans from salvage yard and swap is cheapest option or sell or trade in vehicle.
Rebuild is next but more expensive. Then you get to deal with the most ethical people in the world....a transmission shop!!! Make sure you laminate the warrant paperwork so when you go back and they ask you why you did that you can tell them because Toby said they were a bunch of weaseling crooks!!!

Since Moose has already let the cat out of the bag and stroked my ego (maniac) I will say this is my goal- one of them- to get the phrase....." 'cause Toby said " as a mainstream answer.

It all started at O'Reilly Auto Parts when I had a price match and the commercial girl there put in the computer for Reason: cause Toby said
I was hooked.

ah the fun in life.

Remember....Laminated warranty....cause Toby said (bunch of crooks stuff optional)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the transmission shops should have that 1972 picture of Nixon, with fingers up, saying I'm not a crook! Right next to him, a picture of my buddy's, Moe, Larry, and Curly. The caption reads, our mechanic staff! Woo Woo Woo!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually got into an argument with someone about trans shops one time....obviously he worked or owned one.
Of all things to argue, supporting transmission shops as ethical and fair doesn't give you much ammo for your argument!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
m5mx7icfcde3nl6bzrjs.jpg

914P9tWJouL._SX425_.jpg

FWOHHU3G65E55LJY2GFDXTGRTM.jpg

Or how about this...They aren't quite as bad....more incompetent though.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Manny, Moe, and Jack. They actually at one time CEO's of GM, Chrysler, and you guessed it Ford! They were asked nicely to start their own company. I think it was around the same time the Stooges hit the scene. Ah the 1930's gave us the great depression, and those 6 guy's!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our San Francisco Giants mascot is named Lou seal!