Trans dipstick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jodanie

Reaction score
New to the forum and glad I found it. Just wondering if anyone has added a dipstick to there trans pan? I, well my wife, has an '07 and it doesn't have a dipstick to check the trans fluid level. We bought this vehicle to tow our boat back and forth to the river 4-5hrs each way in 100+ temps and I would like to be able to service the trans. Will one from a F150 work? Jon

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i think someone on here was talking about that the other day and said that there are 2 transmissions, one with and one without a dipstick. I think the tranny with out a dipstick is a sealed unit, and not suppose to have the fluid changed for life or something like that.

Greenbeast

Reaction score
Yah, I guess the '07 and up trucks and the new model of F-150 with the six speed don't have a dipstick. My dad has 2007 also, I ran ino the same problem trying to find the dipstick. But I found a check and fill plug on the front passenger side on the top of the trans. pan. My service manual say it should be changed every 30.000 miles wich seems pretty short.

OP
OP
J

jodanie

Reaction score
Yeah, I found that plug when I was changing the oil. Wasn't sure if it had a dipstick attached to check the level. Either way, not being able to service the tranny til 100k seems crazy on a vehicle you use to tow with. I know the tranny on my SD gets hot in the summer towing, who knows what temps these trannys see. I was thinking of putting on a MagHytec tranny pan like I have on my SD so, I could service the fluids when I want to.

Allan Ross

Reaction score
No transmission dip stick!

Yes there is a transmission dip stick but Ford built is so only a mechanic and get to it. It is located in the same spot on the transmission but has a bolt over it and attached to the bolt is the dip stick, it is very short.
The best way to reach the dip stick is to have the Expedition on a lift. Transmission fluid needs to be warm and the bolt is removed and the short dip stick is wiped clean and re-installed in the transmission location. If fluid is OK then you are fine. But if it is low, it will be hard to add fluid.
My suggestion is to have the dealer or a transmission shop do the job.
I had a Haden transmission cooler installed on my 2007 because I tow a trailer and had the transmission serviced at the same time. The shop had a difficult time refilling the transmission with fluid.
The day of the owner checking the fluids is going away. Take it to a shop and have it checked.

Rich (an old timer mechanic)