Trans fluid change that won't end..... Rant alert

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I thought I was being proactive with changing the fluid at 65k, normally I do a lot of work myself. This seemed like too much. I have asked a Ford dealer and they usually just ignored me. So I found a transmission shop that was really well rated and close to my house. Talked to the guy in the phone and told him I had the 10r80. He seemed really interested and talked about how he went to a recent seminar on it. I felt hopeful it would be a great experience. I wanted him to drop the pan and do the filter.

First go, charged nearly $600. Went home smelled a burn off and thought he just didn't clean the exhaust enough. Went and drove for around 50 miles and then had some of the odd shifting like described in other posts. Heat goes up to 245. More smoke and burn off. Call him and he says we need to check the fluid level.

Second round, I take it in and he puts it on the lift. Leaking around the gasket. He says he will redo the gasket and replace these clips that wear out often. He gets it done next day. No charge.

Third time... Drive home today, smell the brun again and look under and I am getting visible drips right behind the diaper.

Tomorrow need to call and take him over the coals. So frustrated with this one. Anybody have ideas on why the pan isn't sealing? He said he didn't see anything with the gasket but used a new one the second time. I will update tomorrow after I call.

Bmac1955

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's why one takes it Ford. At least if taking it back for a prior, you would get a rental free. When a Trans shop said he was schooled on a 10r80 Trans.......means he probably seen a manual on it. Reusing a Trans pan gasket doesn't seem standard practice especially on a plastic pan. He will probably give some lame excuse that the pan needs to be replaced now after overtightening it. Why?

zak99b5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm. About to change my tranny fluid, and I watched the Ford Tech Makuloco video on it. He says the gasket is totally reusable, lasts the life of the tranny.

Sure it’s not the cooler seals? Those he said need to be replaced.

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Service manual states that you can reuse the seal if it's not damaged. I did a bit of searching and did find some folk here reporting that their pan was warped, especially toward the back.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
isn't that why Ford tosses the plastic pans on these every change? My understanding is the gasket is reusable but the pan is throw away every change. I'm personally going to go with a new aluminum pan when the time comes.

Rednecked

Full Access Members
Reaction score
isn't that why Ford tosses the plastic pans on these every change? My understanding is the gasket is reusable but the pan is throw away every change. I'm personally going to go with a new aluminum pan when the time comes.
What he said ☝

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The filter is not integrated into the pan, so unless the pan was damaged during removal, there is no need to replace it. Similar to a plastic valve cover, if not warped or damaged, you can reuse. That said, it may be tricky to remove a stuck plastic pan without damage. I broke two valve covers in the past while trying to remove them to change the gasket.

First thing to do is to check the fluid level. The fluid level is very difficult to properly adjust in these transmissions. First, it needs to be adjusted at 205 degrees. Second, there are different dipstick types each with its own proper fluid range zone. Third, there are documents floating online that show wrong procedure for adjusting the fluid level. For instance, they tell you the fluid level has to be within region A on the dipstick while Ford manual states it has to be in region B. These documents are published in magazines that some techs follow. The confusion is because Ford uses these transmissions in different vehicles, and some may require different fluid level than the truck platform.

These symptoms seem like an overfilled transmission puking the excess fluid from the vent tube. Accordingly, I would first get a clean fluid level reading at operating temperature and go from there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I wanted to do the ppe aluminum pan when this started but hadn't ordered it when I made the appointment. I originally wanted it done for a camping trip, thankfully it was when we got back that he had availability.

It seems to be leaking towards the back of the pan. Still not clear why they did the stupid dipstick next to the Cat and want you to check it at operating temperature....

Called him and he was receptive. He sent a tow truck to pick it up. We are going out of town for a bit so he will keep it and pressure test it. I guess if it has a vent, that will be interesting unless he is testing it through the vent.

Thanks for the thoughts, I will update when I get it back. Of course my wife is pissed and asking why the hell I wanted the fluid changed in the first place.... Can't win with this car.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently did this as a DIY. Replaced the plastic pan with a PPE. At 26K miles my plastic pan had a large bubble deformity, but the sealing area was flat. Even so I would never reuse this pan. The seal seemed fine, and I reused it with no issues. I did replace all the other seals and the filter. It is not difficult to adjust the fluid level once you know what the level is supposed to be. Small amounts of fluid make a big change on the dipstick level, about 1/2 quart from low to high. After 40 minutes of idling on a hot day I was only able to get the transmission temperature up to 194°. I put the level in the middle of the range at that temperature. Also of note, it was about 1.25 quarts low from the factory.
It should be easy to tell where the leak is coming from. If it is the seal area, I would replace the pan.

OP
OP
C

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
I recently did this as a DIY. Replaced the plastic pan with a PPE. At 26K miles my plastic pan had a large bubble deformity, but the sealing area was flat. Even so I would never reuse this pan. The seal seemed fine, and I reused it with no issues. I did replace all the other seals and the filter. It is not difficult to adjust the fluid level once you know what the level is supposed to be. Small amounts of fluid make a big change on the dipstick level, about 1/2 quart from low to high. After 40 minutes of idling on a hot day I was only able to get the transmission temperature up to 194°. I put the level in the middle of the range at that temperature. Also of note, it was about 1.25 quarts low from the factory.
It should be easy to tell where the leak is coming from. If it is the seal area, I would replace the pan.
Thanks Wangle, your post is what made me finally call someone. I got four young kids and limited time already. I have watched the Makuloco video twice. Just couldn't feel good about time and risk of it. Now I wish I had ... Already spent the time it would have taken dealing with this guy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65