Trans shifting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcat

Reaction score
I have an 01 with a 4.6L. When driving the trans stays in second gear (then the od light flashes), when i get to around 40mph or about 3k rpms i can take me foot off the accelerator and the trans will shift into 3rd gear and drive semi normally but around 50-60mph it will shift in to od but it doesnt feel normal.... Its like a quick shift or something. Im pretty sure its some kind of sensor... Maybe the speed sensor? How do i correct this problem? And the only time the tranny will slip is going over 45mph+ while its stuck in 2nd. But after i notice how to get it to shift to 3rd gear i havent made the tranny slip since.

Last edited:

BANGEREXPO76

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May want to get your TR range senser on the side of the trans checked.
Also check the codes see what turns up.
Good luck

Banger

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fastcat,

How many miles on your Expy?
Agree on above, and add: Range sensor (easy to look and make sure the indexing mark is lined up; could also be your torque converter.
When was the trans serviced last, i.e. filter & fresh fluid?
Most shift into OD around 40-45 mph once the correct line pressure is reached.

PanHandler.

OP
OP
F

Fastcat

Reaction score
It has 213k on it and ill check that sensor. And fliud and filter was changed about 2syrs ago. Abot 25k miles ago

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fastcat

Reaction score
Doing some research it seems the 2-3 shift accumulator and spring commonly fail in these trannys. The spring is very likely to break. Has anyone got any experience changing these? If so any tips?

daoud el-massri

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To fast cat I have a W/R 70 tranie with transfercase from my expee it has 75,000 miles on it I am only asking 500 for it it had no issues when I took it out ran fine shifted good . If u are interest call 1-203-525-2613 or mail me at [email protected] u can see picks on craiglist in western Mass or Craiglist in Roland or here in C.t .

Expyguru

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes had the same issue the 2-3 shift valve is stuck open. not a hard fix remove main valve body flip over and you will see it stuck open. you can get a replacement valve or do a transgo shifter upgrade for like 138. just make sure to torque to spec if the valve body is over tightened it will stick again. also look on you tube for 4r100 trans and there is a video of that same issue.