Transfer case Seal/Bearing damage.. need advice..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trizoy

Reaction score
I had a squeek coming from my Drive shaft where it exits the tranfer case. After about 2 weeks of this, I started to get a vibration when going more than 60MPH.

I was going to visit grandma, and the vibration got really bad. Noticed ATF slowly leaking from the seal around the drive shaft.

I limped home slowly, and got it into a mechanic(NEW). He estimated ~$300 for the seal and bearing to be replaced. After now calling back in, it turns out the bearing has worn away the housing around the bearing. This needs to be fixed. The price has gone up 250 more dollars now. Total to fix is not $550. I have the money to pay the guy, but do these numbers seem reasonable? I saw the price for a new transfer case is ~1800.

Any advice?

OP
OP
T

Trizoy

Reaction score
Ok so now I am going to pick the thing up. The mechanic says the job is complete. Althought he did not weld the sleeve inplace in which he was going to place the bearing... So, he fixed it.. and im not sure how yet. I am going to go pick it up in a little bit. He qupted the extra $250 for the sleeve to be welded in. Since the work has not been done that he quoted, do I have to pay that $250? Are there other ways he could have fixed this safely?

Should I be worried?

He also mentions my differential is making nosie now (it wasnt before)

Troy

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the bearing takes the load not the housing. As long as he is confident that the bearing is riding squarely in the housing then I wouldn't be worried. It all depends on how much you trust your mechanic....
Matt