transmissio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97expo4x4

Reaction score
Hey guys Ive got a 97 5.4 4x4 and the transmission does not go into 3rd or 4th gear. If I put into drive it drives fine, just no 3rd or 4th. I can switch manually from 1st to 2nd. There is no grinding or noises. It seems like the truck isint even trying to change gear.

Any helps on this would be great I don't want to burn it up any worse so it will be sitting in the driveway until I can fix it.

RobertNol

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read something about this when I had my speed sensor disconnected on my Expy. But I can't find it again. I'm sure someone will have an idea..

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the fluid level? Not to sound like an ass, but low ATF levels cause the transmission to not shift into high gears. Otherwise I had my truck get funny on me last summer, it would shift into reverse fine, but would not engage drive. Brought it to the tranny shop, and he pulled off the pan, saw nothing bad, put it back on, and it worked fine. Cost a couple hundred bucks to have him look at it, might be worth looking into.

Last edited:
OP
OP

97expo4x4

Reaction score
Yeah I have checked my fluid level.... Actually it was a little low and I added 2 qaurts but still won't shift. Idk if maybe it could take a minute to set in because I have only drove it once and that was right after I added fluids?

OP
OP

97expo4x4

Reaction score
Update...

I just descovered that my vss is broken at the top of the rear diff.. From what I read that would cause the speedo to not work but mine does... Could this be the cause of the transmission not shifting into 3rd or 4th? Also I pulled off the oil pan and it was spotless. No metal flakes or anything. So hopefully that means no internal damage...

OP
OP

97expo4x4

Reaction score
So I just replaced the vss. And nothing... I've still got the ABS light if that makes any difference.. I hope some one can chime in and help me. I'm defiantly not a trannsmission mechanic but it doesn't slip and there is nothing in the pan so I don't think the clutches are burnt up...

Some one please help!!!

OP
OP

97expo4x4

Reaction score
So I got it fixed turned out to be the transmission range sensor.

Took a little but atleast I've got a new CSS and shifter solenoids and a new trs! Lol