Transmission Clunk 3rd Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eatonmom

Reaction score
Same exact thing happened to me. They had my car for 3 weeks replacing the transmission. I never noticed the 3rd-ish-gear-grinding/loud shift until after I got it back. I notice it all the time now, but really noticeable when cold. I am going to stop by the dealership on my way home to see what they say and show them this thread as well.

Molaf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm. '19 here. I've noticed a harsh shift twice now at slow speeds. Like I felt it in the gas pedal. Reading this makes now makes me wonder what's up...:confused:

OP
OP
hellohithere

hellohithere

Reaction score
If anyone is successful in having the clunk repaired, please update us!

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great so I was about to pull the trigger. Guess not. Wonder if the 2020s got any internal updates?

spc19498

Reaction score
Have the same problem. Shift from 3-4 and from 5-6-5. Brought it the dealer, of course they said “unable to duplicate” normal operation. 18’ Expedition Max Limited, 27k miles. I’m going back next week for a module to be replaced for another issue and have them drive it again. I’ll update if they actually find something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jay Dubs

Reaction score
I've had two dealers not be able to replicate something similar so far. For me when I come out of 3rd and it's going to 5th is seems to slip coming out, I lose power, then it goes into 5th pretty hard. This can sometimes be very mild or sometimes quite rough. When it is cold it's a slam the jerks me back and forth a bit. This is especially prominent accelerating up a slight incline like the one in front of my house. Also, when I'm decelerating by braking I've noticed on very rare occasions a slam into 3rd pushing me forward a bit.

mhExped

Reaction score
...For me when I come out of 3rd and it's going to 5th is seems to slip coming out, I lose power, then it goes into 5th pretty hard. This can sometimes be very mild or sometimes quite rough. When it is cold it's a slam the jerks me back and forth a bit. This is especially prominent accelerating up a slight incline like the one in front of my house. Also, when I'm decelerating by braking I've noticed on very rare occasions a slam into 3rd pushing me forward a bit.

Sounds EXACTLY like my '18 Limited. Had it to the dealer once so far for it..."Unable to duplicate." Will be taking it back in soon for a host of other issues and will raise this one again at the same time.

mhExped

Reaction score
I should add...Mine shifted smooth as butter first 6 months (+/-).