Transmission Clunk 3rd Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoneneo

Reaction score
It happens to me once in a while too, the clunk sound going into 4th gear and out of 4th gear. Mainly going out of 4th. This happens (clunk sound) more often on a sloped road.

2018 limited max 4x4 with towing package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes! same issue. It happens most frequently when driving locally around our neighborhood. Clunk noise occurs between 15 - 10mph after a downshift from 4th to 3rd with moderate braking (coming to a stop at a stop sign). Ford replaced the valve body at 3,000 miles and that reduced the occurrence...but the issue has re-appeared and can be reproduced quite easily. I am going to have them check the drive shaft for a slip/stick issue next time it is in for service. Stats on my expedition are below. For those having this issue, do you have a 4x4, FX4, or MAX version?

2020 Expedition MAX
4x4 w/heavy tow package
FX4

Mine does this exact same thing in almost the same exact spot on the road leading up to my house every time I drive it.

2018 Platinum
4x4 w/heavy tow pkg

bcb97

Reaction score
Our 2020 is doing this also. When downshifting from 4 to 3, with moderate braking, it clunks. I did have the TSB done where they greased the slip yoke. The clunk that would happen with shifting from P to R is gone but I still hear the clunk when it downshifts. I do not really feel like taking it back in until I know there is a fix. It only has 12000 miles so we are good for a little while with the warranty.

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve had a clunky 3rd for a couple weeks now. Yesterday on the highway I hit the gas to pass and it slipped out of gear and hit the rev limiter. It took a second or two to find a gear. On the plus side, it actually seems to be behaving since. Haha

I’m sure I’ll have to take it in to get it looked at.

dsir56

Reaction score
2020 XLT 2 wheel drive, hollow clunk when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. Any fixes found that I can tell my dealer about?

mhExped

Reaction score
For the record, anyone following can ignore my Nov post about the steps involved in resolving "Active Park Assist Disabled" resolved the rough-shifting.

While it was indeed better for awhile, it ultimately turned rough again. In fact, it's happened a couple times now where I've had it in for other work and it comes back shifting smooth as new for a bit. My theory is that the dealer resets the computer so that it re-learn's the driver and it's smooth again, but only for awhile. Haven't yet inquired with the dealer if in fact they are doing such a reset, as it was only recently I came up with this idea.

Every time I have raised the rough shifting problem with the dealer, they tell me it's "normal" and there's no known fix. I inquire every time I go in, hoping that at some point enough complaints come in they get around to issuing a TSB and we can get a real fix in place for this.

bcb97

Reaction score
For the record, anyone following can ignore my Nov post about the steps involved in resolving "Active Park Assist Disabled" resolved the rough-shifting.

While it was indeed better for awhile, it ultimately turned rough again. In fact, it's happened a couple times now where I've had it in for other work and it comes back shifting smooth as new for a bit. My theory is that the dealer resets the computer so that it re-learn's the driver and it's smooth again, but only for awhile. Haven't yet inquired with the dealer if in fact they are doing such a reset, as it was only recently I came up with this idea.

Every time I have raised the rough shifting problem with the dealer, they tell me it's "normal" and there's no known fix. I inquire every time I go in, hoping that at some point enough complaints come in they get around to issuing a TSB and we can get a real fix in place for this.

If you find out they are resetting the adaptive tables, then you can ask them to turn that feature off. Some dealers will do it, some won't. Some probably do not know how to but it can be done.

42pilot

Reaction score
My 2020 limited does the same thing - clunk when downshifting from 4th to 3rd. I took it to the dealer this week and they reset the adaptive tables and it was butter until today. If I drive around town in sport mode, no clunk. I just got back from a 5,000 mile trip towing a travel trailer and did not have any clunking in tow/haul mode either. For such an expensive and great vehicle, you'd think this could have been addressed. Must have been a GM bug/joke planted....

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you find out they are resetting the adaptive tables, then you can ask them to turn that feature off. Some dealers will do it, some won't. Some probably do not know how to but it can be done.
Do you know if it can be done in forscan?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
savbraze