Transmission Cooler Lines Quick-Disconnect

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
An old problem:

I can't get these 2008 tranny cooler disconnects apart. I've tried every tool I can get and searched the Internet for hours. I've wiggled, pushed, pulled, twisted and poked with a thin shim. They spin but they don't come free.

I'm trying to install a factory cooler in my XLT. Looks easy. Parts are cheap. Figured I'd be done in a hour.

For ten hours I've struggled with this stupid Better Idea from Ford.

Any thoughts on this?

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Bob, tried them all, even those rainbow colored sets. Hours. But thanks for confirming that I'm not just a crappy mechanic.

I'm afraid I'll coax and beat the thing into leaking and still not coming apart. That's my luck.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The way its supposed to work is to push both the tool and the male fitting hard into the female fitting. Then, while holding the tool in place, pull out on the male fitting.

Two hands aren't enough, three is too many.

Greg S

Reaction score
I did exactly what you are trying to do about 2 months ago in my 2008 Eddie Bauer. I spent a few hours messing with these lines and a Lisle tool I bought for 8 bucks on Amazon. The trick I used to get the lines apart was to push the tool into the female end of the line as far as I could, twist and push a little more to make sure it was all the way in, then clamped a pair of vice grips on the trans line just above the tool to keep it from slipping out. Then I twisted the two lines and gently pulled them apart, and they came apart fairly easily.

I guess the tool was slipping out a little bit when I was pulling on the lines and causing the locking collar to close again, so the vise grips kept the tool from sliding out.

Just be sure to adjust your tool so you put enough pressure on the line to keep the tool from slipping, but not so much that you damage the line (in case you want to use it later).

End result was about 4 hours of my time and about $80 worth of OEM parts, and I had a cleanly installed and factory looking transmission cooler.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Greg S

Reaction score
BTW, I also wanted to show the before and after pics, see attached. Ordered the parts online and had them in about a week. Now I can tow our 5K pound travel trailer without worrying about overheating the tranny!

42F4E324-DAA9-49BA-9328-3AF60929C363.jpeg

5DCCF0BA-80B7-474E-A55C-EB3FE27A8EAE.jpeg

Also, for anyone looking to add an external transmission cooler to your truck, you'll need the following parts:

• Transmission oil cooler - Ford part #DL3Z-7A095-A
  • Inlet hose - Ford part #9L3Z-7C410-B (this is the short piece of hose that connects the top of the transmission oil cooler to the radiator)
  • Front Press Tube - Ford part #9L3Z-7B028-G (this is the tube that connects the bottom of the transmission oil cooler to the existing line that goes back to the transmission oil pan)
  • Transmission Oil Line Disconnect Tool - I went with the Lisle part #39960 tool, but there are others out there as well.
I did some extensive research on this topic and didn't want to go with an aftermarket set up, and there wasn't much out there so I thought I'd post this list of parts for anyone else wanting to add an external transmission cooler to their vehicle, to provide an added level of cooling for the transmission oil beyond the cooler that is built into the radiator. I am not a mechanic and had not done this kind of job before, and it was much easier than I expected (aside from getting that doggone transmission line disconnected!)

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Greg, thanks for the MOST useful information. Mine's an 08 too, so I will give it a try. Your photo give me renewed inspiration.

Hey, where's your bumper?

- Ed

Greg S

Reaction score
Great, Ed. I'm glad this helps. I think if you try that technique, you'll get the lines apart fairly easily.

I ended up pulling the whole front end off to get to the area for install. I have a Ranch Hand grille guard on my truck so had to remove it to get to the grille, then tried to pull the grille only but wasn't able to get it off without breaking the tabs, so I went ahead and removed the headlights, then pulled off the grille/bumper assembly. It all came apart and went back to together fairly easily...just follow the bolts.

Let me know if you have any questions as you take another run at it!

- Greg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. Spin and align without pressing or pushing
2. Press without spinning
3. Push in
4. Pull apart

...or something