Transmission "forward jerk" or "transmission bump" when braking - solved

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denniswlee

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Ford Expedition EL LTD 4WD with 85,000 miles.
I bought the car used with 79,000 miles and I've noticed a slight forward "jerk" when coming to a full stop. Some describe this as a "transmission bump" or "forward jerk" when braking. After some research, there were several potential solutions that were offered (on this forum and other sources). I wanted to eliminate the guess work, so i changed one thing at a time with 300-500 miles between trying the recommended solutions.

The "forward jerk" or "transmission bump" was fixed by recommended solution 5 (see below). The fix was felt immediately (and has not come back in about 100 miles). I will report back and attempt other fixes if the issue comes back.

As an added thought, even though Ford specified that the transmission is "maintenance free" I noticed the transmission oil that came out was dark (it still had a hint of red shade, but when pooled in the drain pan, it was black), definitely thicker in viscosity than the new SP fluid. The pan also had very fine black power-like sediment in the pan and the magnet. My thought is that while the old oil may still be within acceptable operating parameters specified by FORD, at least in my case, the oil (dirty or otherwise) was causing some issues.
As additional piece of information I do not use the Expedition it for towing (even though the previous owners may have).

Recommended Solution 1
Change the 4WD solenoid - did not fix the issue

Recommended Solution 2
Change spark plugs - changing all 8 with SP-515 did not fix the issue

Recommended Solution 3
Change the coils - changing all 8 did not fix the issue

Recommended Solution 4
Added a little bit of transmission fluid (Mercon SP) - did not solve the issue

Recommended Solution 5
Change transmission fluid - drain by dropping pan and changed filter. 6 quarts came out and 6.5 quarts went in. Refilled to the middle of the hash-mark on the dipstick while the car was in full operating temperature.

There were other solutions that were brought forward such as changing transmission, replacing torque converter or bleeding the brakes. I did not try these as I am no longer experiencing the issue.

I wanted to provide some information that may be helpful to others since I've found many of the posts here very helpful.

ggarriga

Reaction score
Mine appears to be fixed by them updating the software for the Transmission. I will keep you posted, but there is a TCB out there on it. Something like "less than 8mph - hard shift from 2nd to 1st"