Transmission Getting Hot and Puking ATF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
Yeah, it's for everything. I think the cost for the transmission cooler pump was a little over a $1000

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is a transmission cooler pump?? I am not aware of that part in 10r80s!

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a valve on the front pass side of the engine that is controlled by the ECM to shut coolant flow from the engines coolant pump to the trans cooler but it’s not a pump. If that’s stuck shut for sure the trans would run hot but sounds like it was replaced (maybe). Usually on these cars the engine is running too hot from a failed thermostat and the hot engine overheats the trans since they share the same coolant system. Unfortunately, the coolant bar graph in the dash is really dampened and stays dead center from 170 -237 degrees. At 238 degrees it places the actual coolant number above it to tell you it’s hot. You might just have an engine running too hot overheating the trans. Ford does have an updated thermostat with a plastic side to them that came out about 6 months ago. If you have the repair order for what the dealer replaced, post the part numbers installed and we can see if that’s the trans cooling valve or engine water pump.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just replaced my thermostat with the new version from Ford. The engine temp is significantly lower after over an hour drive. The change procedure is easy since you don't have to remove any hoses. Took me around 30 minutes and I refilled with 1 gallon of yellow coolant. You can buy Ford coolant from dealership or Oreilly's. My engine was hoovering over 232 and transmission went over 219-222 with old thermostat.

aziz

Reaction score
I just replaced my thermostat with the new version from Ford. The engine temp is significantly lower after over an hour drive. The change procedure is easy since you don't have to remove any hoses. Took me around 30 minutes and I refilled with 1 gallon of yellow coolant. You can buy Ford coolant from dealership or Oreilly's. My engine was hoovering over 232 and transmission went over 219-222 with old thermostat.
How much it cost and is it under warranty

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much it cost and is it under warranty
No, it's not under warranty. I bought the thermostat and gasket on Ebay around $50. Two gallons of Ford yellow coolant around $28 on Amazon. I replaced it myself.

Jeff Sweeney

Reaction score
So follow-up to the transmission overheating issue. $4000 later it is supposed to be fixed. So the technician diagnosed a failing transmission cooler pump so that needed replaced. Also, front brake pads and rotors needed done, rear shocks both leaking and needed replaced and finally when they were installing the new cooler pump they found some kind of oil cooler hose was leaking and supposedly melted. I should have asked for pictures of everything because I just serviced the car for an oil change in January and none of the other issues were mentioned. I have not towed with it yet but I hope to test it this weekend.
Have you had a chance to tow and any overheating? How is the heat now? I have a 2018 XLT Max and having the same issues.