Transmission Harness Melts & Routing - 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Deep down on the passenger side between the right exhaust manifold and the firewall lies the transmission harness. Mine is melting. I replaced the plastic loom and within days it melted again. Next, I'll wrap it with a heat-proof fabric heat shield. That should work. Does anyone else have this problem? Maybe you never looked. Take a look down there an let me know. Notice the uncovered individual wires down below in the photo. (That's the valve cover and manifold below it.)

Even better, post a photo of its routing... Maybe mine's routed incorrectly? The shop manual's not detailed enough to show how it's mounted. I'd like to solve this before individual wire insulation fails or becomes brittle. I know in later years the harness is wrapped with silver Fiberglas heat-resistant tape.

I'm thinking maybe I have a manifold or gasket leak? Thanks much.

1690661122581.png

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 2007 was mounted the same way, and I recall the wires actually sat right on the flange bolt for the manifold up top. My buddy is still driving it and thus far no issues. Somehow.

OP
OP
T

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Just checked manifold for leaks; there is no exhaust blowing on the harness. Just seems like the foil covering and loom went missing over the years. Similar harness on 2007 and 2009 so check yours.

I got a flame an heat-retardant cover that wraps around wiring with Velcro and further secured it with high-temperature tie-wraps to cover the individual wires.

The harness is best accessed through the fender well with the tire removed.