Transmission leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brett nopper

Reaction score
I have a leak that has happened before randomly, now past 2 days it’s leaving a puddle after parking. Attached is a pic showing the area leaking, any help is appreciated

F2146410-4A8B-447B-B3AB-F640B6372E98.jpeg

OP
OP
B

brett nopper

Reaction score
actually i think it might be power steering leak. Anybody have any common areas to check?

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
actually i think it might be power steering leak. Anybody have any common areas to check?

My last 2 Fords (Mountaineer and now an '11 Expedition EL) it leaked at the top of the column. Considering the cost of parts, in both cases I added stop leak. For the Mountaineer, when I sold it 10 years later it still wasn't leaking a drop. I added it to my Expedition 1 year ago and had to add maybe 1/4" of fluid at months 3 and 6 and nothing since. I figured it was worth a shot since the worst case was having to replace the PS assembly that would require replacement if I did nothing anyway.

OP
OP
B

brett nopper

Reaction score
What year?
sorry that would help huh......2015.
I thought it was trans fluid. It's done it before a few times where it pukes out fluid a bit, then fine for month. Last 2 days it's been dropping fluid so trying to figure out what to check on it .

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sorry that would help huh......2015.
I thought it was trans fluid. It's done it before a few times where it pukes out fluid a bit, then fine for month. Last 2 days it's been dropping fluid so trying to figure out what to check on it .

Ok, I don't believe you can add fluid. And pretty sure the power steering units aren't serviceable. But they're only $700 on rock Auto

OP
OP
B

brett nopper

Reaction score
oil was changed month or so ago, it's left a good size puddle under it the last few days. appears to be coming out of the housing right there as you see, I don't think it's dripping down from anywhere. I'll have to get in there later today and see if thats the case.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok,check all the lines you can above the unit also, could be a different source. Hopefully it's not the PS unit that's actually leaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker