Transmission or other cooler..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano

Reaction score
Hello, My 2005 Expedition, with nearly 200K miles, has sprung a seep. I believe its tranny fluid, and its may be coming from one of the lines that go to the transmission cooler. The location of the leak/seep, is right under the radiator area. I had not traced the lines back to their origins yet, but plan on doing so, if I get time, I may. As I was lying under it, I noticed that there are two different coolers in front of radiator. Is the other a power steering cooler or an oil cooler?
Right now I just got so much stuff on my plate, I just don't have much time to do any of it. So, if any one has any suggestions for me as to what to look for, that would really help.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is this a second transmission cooler, in addition to the one inside the radiator? Or is there not a transmission cooler inside the 2nd Generation radiator?

There are two stand alone small coolers/heat exchangers in front of the condenser. You can see them best through the lower grille/opening in the front valance. I believe the factory setup was for the towing package (but I could be wrong)

OP
OP
D

dano

Reaction score
Jb14, yes, mine has the two stand alone, and also has the towing package. Have not did a thorough examination of my leak this weekend, had the rug rat. Hopefully next weekend (four day!). My leak is on the drivers side to the center. I was thinkin I was going to wait til it got worse, to where I could actually tell what part of the line was leaking, and do a quick fix with transmission grade rubber line, then order the right one. But then with winter approaching, don't really want to have to do a fix in the cold, slushy, oily mess thats going to most likely happen to me.
If anyone has already done this repair to their expy, maybe you could send me any tips that would help.

Plati

Reaction score
Oil & Transmission
I did not know any Expy's had an oil cooler? Do they?

On my 2003 & 2014 with HD Tow, there are two "radiators" up front. The big one gets engine coolant. Transmission fluid goes to big one then small one then back to transmission.

OP
OP
D

dano

Reaction score
Ahhhh...I see, well, I"m going to cram myself under it here in a few minutes, pull some shields, and flimsy rubber guards off to see whats lurking behind them. then, if I don't get myself stuck there, squish my way back towards tranny, and lube up the connections. Wish me luck. Oh yeah, any place have the parts cheaper than the usual...ie, rock auto, parts geek, carId?