Transmission Shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrc50

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Suggest see my posts on recent transmission failure on my 2017 Limited with 13K miles. Started shifting rough or seeming to pop out of gear. Ford dealer had to replace valve body in transmission, so far works ok but really concerns us on a vehicle supposed to be long lasting even if under warranty!
We use it only for long distance drives (10-12 hours), never towed anything. I have not had a transmission failure since mid 80's Oldsmobiles! One reason I bought the leftover 17 versus 18 was I did not want a first year 10 speed transmission, boy was I surprised!

Stotadude

Reaction score
I bought a '17 Expy Limited program vehicle and it now has just under 70k miles. I love it and it drives like new, but occasionally when I am accelerating slowly and get to about 23mph, it upshifts from 2nd to 3rd and makes a little clunk and jerk. BUT if I do a normal acceleration like when I am aiming for 50mph, then it shifts quiet and smooth all the way up. Seems to be just an oddity.

2010ELExpy4x4

Reaction score
Our 2010 had the same issue seems there was a TSB or alert about a flash program, data said ours had the flash but when they checked it wasn't there,they installed it, issue solved. Don't know if that would pertain to a 2017 (seems like they would have figured it out by then).
I also did a fluid/filter change, seemed to make some difference in shift quality.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a '17 Expy Limited program vehicle and it now has just under 70k miles. I love it and it drives like new, but occasionally when I am accelerating slowly and get to about 23mph, it upshifts from 2nd to 3rd and makes a little clunk and jerk. BUT if I do a normal acceleration like when I am aiming for 50mph, then it shifts quiet and smooth all the way up. Seems to be just an oddity.

Mine does exactly the same. It's almost like popping a clutch a little too quick in a manual transmission. It happens once and not again on that drive. I only noticed it when driving through our apartment complex when it was cold. Even when I get to the stop sign to turn onto the street and it down shifts and goes back up again, no bump. On the street no issue. The stop sign is only a few hundred feet of where this occurs and it doesn't always do it to begin with. I should hope a truck transmission is over engineered enough to handle it.

Gixxer410

Reaction score
My 2015 is doing the same thing in third gear. I’m at 94k miles and when I’m just driving along like normal it seems like the TC clutch goes into lockup way too early, it almost wants to fall on it’s face rpm wise but still keeps moving. If I’m hot on the gas or even moderately into the pedal it shifts just fine. I’ve had the latest update done and they also reset the TCM and it was better until it relearned it’s self. Gonna try a fluid swap this weekend if the snow will stay away and see if it helps.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65