Transmission shutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shagnasty

Reaction score
My 2001 Expy EB 4X4 is having a little shutter in the tranny especially when the torque converter locks up. I added some Seafoam additive and eliminated about 50-70 percent of the issue. My question is....Tell me about power flushing and approximate cost involved. Do quick lube type places do this. If so, how can I assure they use the right type tranny fluid(I've heard this is vital in Expy's). In other words, do they use bulk oils in a dispenser?

PBH

Reaction score
My understanding is that power flushing is BS. Theyy don't want to take the tranny cover off and change the filter, this leads to too many leaks. Go to a reliable tranny shop and have the fluid and filter changed.

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your understanding is COMPLETELY WRONG.

I have done mine twice in the last 3 years, once after I bought it used (wanted to start off 'clean'), and then this last spring when it changed all fluids to synthetic, including the trans fluid. Especially the last time, the change was noticable in terms of smooth and crisp shifts.

It is not hard to understand why a power flush is better. By simply draining the fluid, you get only about 50-70% of the fluid out of the tranny itself. You sure don't g3et the fluid in the torque converter (yes, you cen take the drain plug off the converter, but how many go through that step), and if you have the tranny fluid cooler, you certainly don't get that fluid out. Plus, what about the gunk and deposits in the servos, clutches, galley pathways, etc.? In simple terms, they stay in.

To your point that they do not want to take the cover off, well they don't. Most tranny's can leak after this. Plus, the filter may not need to be changed becuase power flushing is a reverse flow process that actually cleans the filter. In my case though, I still insist on taking the cover off, replacing the filter and doing a visual on the tranny.

My advice, based on my own very good expereince is ALWAYS power flush, and go with synthetic fluids. A reliable shop will use the correct fluids (there really is only two kinds for trannys). As a matter of fact, when I had my tranny power flushed, I had my brakes & power steering power flushed. In all I had synthetic fluid put into: Brakes, power steering, tranny, rear diff, front diff, transfer case. Of course, I always use synthetic motor oil. For those of you that complain about leaks with synthetics....I have none.

cnuttgirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
rwinch-

what synthetic did you use for the brake fluid power steering, tranny, rear diff, front diff, and transfer case? i am at 103K miles and i intend on changing those fluids that i can. i have been reading on www.bobistheoilguy.com about different brands of synthetic. i was also thinking about a gator back belt.

i'd like to leave the brake, power steering, and tranny flush to a local shop, but i'd like to do the others.
thanks-

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I will definitely look into their studies!

As for the synthetic oil used, I think it was Valvoline. I did not purchase it, I left this to the shop, but I trust them since I purchased the Expy with low miles from the owner. It is a large shop, but he always takes the time to see how his "ol' baby" is doing, and does some of the work himself!

The diffs will be relatively easy, but remember to read the specs, i.e. the front and rear diffs used a different viscosity oil, plus the rear uses a friction modifier (if you have the LS option).

PBH

Reaction score
Originally posted by rwinch
Your understanding is COMPLETELY WRONG.

I have done mine twice in the last 3 years, once after I bought it used (wanted to start off 'clean'), and then this last spring when it changed all fluids to synthetic, including the trans fluid. Especially the last time, the change was noticable in terms of smooth and crisp shifts.

It is not hard to understand why a power flush is better. By simply draining the fluid, you get only about 50-70% of the fluid out of the tranny itself. You sure don't g3et the fluid in the torque converter (yes, you cen take the drain plug off the converter, but how many go through that step), and if you have the tranny fluid cooler, you certainly don't get that fluid out. Plus, what about the gunk and deposits in the servos, clutches, galley pathways, etc.? In simple terms, they stay in.

To your point that they do not want to take the cover off, well they don't. Most tranny's can leak after this. Plus, the filter may not need to be changed becuase power flushing is a reverse flow process that actually cleans the filter. In my case though, I still insist on taking the cover off, replacing the filter and doing a visual on the tranny.

My advice, based on my own very good expereince is ALWAYS power flush, and go with synthetic fluids. A reliable shop will use the correct fluids (there really is only two kinds for trannys). As a matter of fact, when I had my tranny power flushed, I had my brakes & power steering power flushed. In all I had synthetic fluid put into: Brakes, power steering, tranny, rear diff, front diff, transfer case. Of course, I always use synthetic motor oil. For those of you that complain about leaks with synthetics....I have none.

Odd that your comment disagrees completely with any transmission shops I have spoken to...

Secondly, would you suggest reverse flushing your oil filter into the engine also?

If you want a full fluid change do it twice.

Finally, anyone that can't seal a transmission pan is not qualified to work on your vehicle.

Last edited: