Travel Trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • 17 EL Limited and my toy hauler is a 2011 KZ MXT301. 35' long and GVWR is 8800#s. The Expedition will tow every bit of it. Unlike Chuck Ive used a traditional "cheap" bar & chain WD hitch with sliding sway bar for years and shes straight as an arrow running 70 down the hwy.
Since you have the SWB model I wouldn't recommend one as big as me and DF5.4 have. It'll be the tail wagging the dog no matter how good your hitch is or how good your breaks are. If I were you I'd stay in the 25' or less range. Not sure the size of your family as you only mention the wife. We're a family of 5 with me, my wife and 3 small children and we have a UTV and multiple ATV's so we needed something big. I purposely bought the EL just because of this very reason.

I just bought a tuner for my ride so I can get some more performance out of her especially a torque boost so I can tow more efficiently. Like DF5 above I plan to upgrade my tires to an E rated model at some point. The OEM Hankooks are good but you'll get a better ride out of the stouter tire when towing heavy. If I'm really conservative and stay between 65-70mph I can get 11-12 mpg. Good luck with whatever trailer you choose

IMG_5650.jpg

PPS ...at least get some frickin tow mirrors you menace to society

chris bauer

Reaction score
Towing a 2018 forest river Salem 26Tbud. 6100lbs dry and using a standard WDH and sway bar attachment. I have the heavy tow package as well and it pulls great!!! Really impressed with the expedition! Monday will be installing 285/70 r17 e rated tires on raptor rims than next is getting tow mirrors

21FCDC7B-74D5-449B-AA14-766C3AF79B22.jpeg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol you don’t need a big SD to tow a camper or toy hauler are you crazy. The Expedition fairs just fine doing that. The only reason I bought my F-350 was for the 8’ bed to throw sh*t in for work. I picked up a diesel 6.7 but would have been fine with a 6.2 gas one, the tow rating is something like 13,500 pounds which I’ll never use. I have no problem towing with either or just drive like a normal person and you’ll be fine. There are guys out there towing 7,000 with an exploder.

PS: the Expedition rides much better and is much more comfy.

Last edited:

Steve15Ex

Reaction score
There are guys out there towing 7,000 with an exploder.

Hey hey hey, my 08 Explorer tows like a damn champ. I did just upgrade to a 2015 limited expedition, and looking forward to towing in the spring with it. We have a 2016 Tracer 270air, its around the 7k mark full loaded.(which is at the top rating for the explorer). The biggest part of my success is the Equalizer WD hitch, it's the only WD hitch I've owned and I never looked back! Also the explorer has adjustable Rancho shocks that are great as well.

IMG_3690.JPG

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey hey hey, my 08 Explorer tows like a damn champ. I did just upgrade to a 2015 limited expedition, and looking forward to towing in the spring with it. We have a 2016 Tracer 270air, its around the 7k mark full loaded.(which is at the top rating for the explorer). The biggest part of my success is the Equalizer WD hitch, it's the only WD hitch I've owned and I never looked back! Also the explorer has adjustable Rancho shocks that are great as well.

View attachment 22733
I believe that year explorer is still on a solid frame the newer ones are on a unibody.

OP
OP
J

J_82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can see our 20' R-Pod in my avatar pic...weight usually tops out at about 3100 lbs. 2014 LTD with HD tow package. Andersen WDH and anti-sway system, Michelin tires for a smooth ride all the time. Average 12 mpg on highways and Western mountains combined. We camp in tight boondocking spots so smaller trailer works perfect for us.
Cool I want to drive to Louisiana and/or Colorado to take the family camping.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chuck and Adieu, x2. Tongue weight has to be added to the passenger/cargo weight inside your tow vehicle. Most Expeditions pulling 8000 pounds with family inside are pushing the envelope, at best. It's not important whether the engine will pull it. I seem to recall a Toyota pulling the Space Shuttle. As I read on an RV forum years ago, it's not go power, it's whoa power that's important.

The CAT scales are your friend.

And 99% of ST (read trailer tires) are rated for max 65 mph.

Steve15Ex

Reaction score
Yes, that's correct it's a body on frame. I'm happy that I will have a good basis for if towing is better or not. I'm hoping that setting up the suspension with the Equalizer isn't too big of an issue. I was surprised to see that my expedition has the select-able suspension with the 22" wheel package and HD towing package. As when I was building them on ford's website if you selected the 22" rims that it take the load leveling suspension off as an option.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Agreed. Maximum towing capacity assumes the vehicle is empty allowing for a 150 pound driver. Fill it with family, camping gear, and several dogs and you'll find the One Ton Rule very handy. Note this reduces allowed trailer weight for my Expedition to 7200 pounds and we can skip all the other math.

Properly setup a WDH apportions some rear axle weight between the front axle and the trailer axles. The rest remains on the rear axle. It is vital the front suspension depress when connected to the trailer. Helper springs and air bags will let the truck set level but this is no indication of proper weight distribution.

The factory's conservative tow ratings are the reason these are towed over-loaded all the time with near impunity -- as long as you're not super-stupid in loading.

-- Chuck

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65