true cold air vs cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elighthunter

Reaction score
Ok so the difference is one is gaining the air through the fend vs just under the hood. Which would perform better? I know obviously which ever one gets more air. So then which one gains more air truely? I would say the true cold air out of a geuss. But anyone had any experience with the true cold air?

Grasshopper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know if you're looking at this the right way.

Are you assuming a "Ram Air" concept? As in the car moving through the air creates a higher pressure? If so, then that's bunk.

Cold air is just that...cold air, which has more oxygen per volume unit and makes more power. I hope this is what you're asking.

I think the key in getting a good intake is to have a large, straight passageway for the air, having as few sharp bends as possible, especially for a high compression engine and really especially for a power added engine.

I honestly don't know what "true" cold air is relative to cold air. I just know that if you can get a big tube in the outside air and keep it as straight as possible, then that will be ideal.

hth

OP
OP
E

elighthunter

Reaction score
what I'm thinking of is my buddy builds race cars he puts the intake system in the fender honestly I can't tell what exactly he does. Just wondering the the diference in performance was. Now that I think of it that would basically be a ram air unit.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over at F150 online, when someone says "true CAI" they usually mean something like the Volant intake, which is an intake that is sealed off from the engine compartment, and connects directly to the fender hole.

A simple "CAI" is what most think of a cold air intake, which would be something like the K&N intakes.

I think the Volant has an attachment that is supposed to make it into a ram air intake. But, from what I understand, since it is not completely sealed, the "rammed" air does not make any sort of forced because it escapes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elighthunter

Reaction score
would the volant intake systems have better performance then? Right now my CAI isn't capped, directed or anything I think doing something more would give me some more power. Any thoughts?
Double stacked?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't really know.

Personally, I really don't think you're going to get that much more power unless you do something major. I'd assume most of these reputable CAIs have some sort of R&D to get the most out of them.

What sort of CAI do you have right now?

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They seem reputable.

I've heard of people doing simple things like routing dryer ducting to the filter in an effort to provide the filter with cool air.

Instead of buying another CAI, maybe use the money for another mod like E-fans. :)

CrackerExpy

Reaction score
To put in my .02 here, I used to have a 90 Integra. The only time I noticed a difference was when I heat wrapped my intake, and took air in from behind my bumper. I know I'm using a honda to compare, but this car was where I picked up most of my knowledge from. Either way, an engine, is an engine.

As far as "true cold air" and "cold air" intakes, the "true" cold air comes from outside the engine compartment. As said before, cold air is denser than hot air, and in an internal combustible engine means more power. N2O is basically a cold air "rush" into your engine, and that why you make more power with it. To truly have a "true cold air" intake, you would need to insulate the air charge from the hot ambient air in your engine compartment to notice any kind of a power gain, i.e. heat wrap your intake tube, and seal off your filter from the engine compartment air and take it in from the fender area. HTH. Later.