Trying to get rid of P0442 - small Evap Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tvlunn

Reaction score
On checking the live or KOEO data, is reads MIL_DIST 0km/mi. Does that mean I have driven enough miles since erasing codes? It used to show P1000 - must drive more miles.

If this is good to go (GTG) and a pending code won't trigger a FAIL at inspection, it'll be a beeline after I get some feedback.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I do practically all of my own auto repairs as I do enjoy the satisfaction of repairing them myself!

From what I have read AND from what I have been told by an experienced professional, once the P0442 is set as a pending code, it will remain in place until another EVAP drive cycle is triggered. At that time, if the drive cycle is completed, it will either pass EVAP and erase the pending code automatically OR it will fail the drive cycle and then set the appropriate code (P0442 in your case) along with illuminating the "Check Engine" Light (MIL).

I have also heard that an auto can not pass inspection with a pending MIL. I don't know if that is true or not?

By the way, and this is very important, whatever smoke machine you may eventually purchase, borrow or rent, make certain it will not apply any more than 3 to 5 PSI MAX to the EVAP system. The tag on my Expy's purge valve states to apply no more than 1 PSI. It's my understanding there are some components within the system that can be easily damaged if too much pressure is applied to them.

The smoke machine I purchased will only apply 0.5 PSI to the system. I can also assure you 0.5 PSI is more than adequate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not an expert by any means, but I do practically all of my own auto repairs as I do enjoy the satisfaction of repairing them myself!

From what I have read AND from what I have been told by an experienced professional, once the P0442 is set as a pending code, it will remain in place until another EVAP drive cycle is triggered. At that time, if the drive cycle is completed, it will either pass EVAP and erase the pending code automatically OR it will fail the drive cycle and then set the appropriate code (P0442 in your case) along with illuminating the "Check Engine" Light (MIL).

I have also heard that an auto can not pass inspection with a pending MIL. I don't know if that is true or not?

By the way, and this is very important, whatever smoke machine you may eventually purchase, borrow or rent, make certain it will not apply any more than 3 to 5 PSI MAX to the EVAP system. The tag on my Expy's purge valve states to apply no more than 1 PSI. It's my understanding there are some components within the system that can be easily damaged if too much pressure is applied to them.

The smoke machine I purchased will only apply 0.5 PSI to the system. I can also assure you 0.5 PSI is more than adequate.

Great information. I did not know that.

I found out a bit of info with a local shop I use for oil change (NTB - National Tire & Battery).

I explained the situation and he advised me they can check with truck without actually submitting it as a test. He was not certain if a pending code will trigger a fail. He said this test is no charge, but it will tell their mechanic/technician if it will pass - so good enough for me and I like the free part. It's worth a try. If it will pass, I'll get the real inspection done, but still chase down this gremlin EVAP fault pending...

Thanks again for the info on PSI.

Why can't they just make cold smoke in an aerosol can?!? (For a few bucks... or more if it has regulator and psi gauge which would be the way to go.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For $30 maybe rig up something off one of these party foggers ? Use mineral oil in it. Maybe it'll push enough through the system.

https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Fo...sed-search-10&pf_rd_t=BROWSE&pf_rd_i=11974271

Not a bad idea. I was also looking at those this am too. They normally burn water based solutions, but if it'll burn mineral oil, GTG. Also I'll rig up a low psi gauge/regulator & desiccant bowl down downstream (to clear any moisture) from machine to maintain under 1 psi per previous post.

I fashioned a desiccant bowl, ball valve to replace the factory one on my Esab plasma cutter. It blew up.

It was going to take a few days to get in. So this contraption was about 10 inches long (factory is about 1 1/2 inch), with couplers, nipples, adapters, reducers, ball valve - no psi gauge - already on front of machine. It worked. Funny looking, but it worked.

Kevin Masters

Reaction score
I drive with with one of those scanners in my truck. I turn the evap light off if I forget to do a second crank in the morning to re-pressure the fuel system.

tvlunn

Reaction score
I turn the evap light off if I forget to do a second crank in the morning to re-pressure the fuel system.

You can turn the light off as you have stated. However, the "unfixed" issue still remains in memory. For you, it's nice not to see a Check Engine light illuminated ………. however, a garage or State Inspection Center can easily access the ECM, PCM and BCM modules with their equipment to view any unresolved issues.

You may already know this …………….. just additional info!

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drive with with one of those scanners in my truck. I turn the evap light off if I forget to do a second crank in the morning to re-pressure the fuel system.
You can turn the light off as you have stated. However, the "unfixed" issue still remains in memory. For you, it's nice not to see a Check Engine light illuminated ………. however, a garage or State Inspection Center can easily access the ECM, PCM and BCM modules with their equipment to view any unresolved issues.

Yes sir, I was aware. Funny, but a shade tree mechanic of mine said once I get the new fuel cap to run the heck out of it getting on to the toll road. I usually drive her very easy, rarely 'stretching her legs'. That was fun this morning. Until I saw the popo behind me. No cherries and berries though.

Kevin Masters

Reaction score

Yes, I live in a state where we don’t have inspections. I liked to find the leak.. after replacing all that I did I’m a bit tired messing with it. And this Is an easy work around.. just turn the truck off and back on in the morning. I have no other issues with it. After replacing all that I did I’m assuming it’s the canister contraption under the truck in the back.. just another guess however

tvlunn

Reaction score
Yep, we don't have auto inspections in SC either. But, like you, I wanted the issue corrected so that I could monitor other issues involved with the MIL should they need to trigger the light.

I can tell you this, EVAP system issues are very difficult to diagnose in many cases without the proper equipment. If you're confident your issue isn't related to the purge valve, vent valve or fuel cap, then you likely have a leak of some kind. The leaks can sometimes be very small and located in a spot that isn't easily accessible, such as in the case of mine, that the only way to really "see" it is with a smoke machine. Smoke machines can come in handy for helping to locate vacuum leaks as well, so I'm glad I purchased one now. It sure did help resolve my issue quickly!!!!!

Note: mine also has the proper built-in flow gauges so that I could monitor the pressures after I made the JB Weld repair. The gauges aren't necessarily mandatory, but without them, there is no way one would know for sure if they've fixed the issue except to drive the vehicle to see if it sets another code later on. I liked the idea of knowing the leak was properly repaired before I even bolted the fuel tank back in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, we don't have auto inspections in SC either. But, like you, I wanted the issue corrected so that I could monitor other issues involved with the MIL should they need to trigger the light.

I can tell you this, EVAP system issues are very difficult to diagnose in many cases without the proper equipment. If you're confident your issue isn't related to the purge valve, vent valve or fuel cap, then you likely have a leak of some kind. The leaks can sometimes be very small and located in a spot that isn't easily accessible, such as in the case of mine, that the only way to really "see" it is with a smoke machine. Smoke machines can come in handy for helping to locate vacuum leaks as well, so I'm glad I purchased one now. It sure did help resolve my issue quickly!!!!!

Howdy and thanks from Texas, again.

Just received a few hours ago the Motorcraft gas cap.

I turned off my State Farm drive safe and save (just turned bluetooth off since hard acceleration dings the discount) and hooked up onto the toll road. I really enjoy the 5.4 engine.

With new cap, I'll hit it again as a friend recommended tomorrow morning.

After my friend's wife gets out of surgery (??!!) today, I'll visit them next week to say hello, steal their grill for BBQ. Back on to some ramps he has and do a visual inspection of hoses/connections to see if anything is obvious. If not, I guess I'll have to pull the trigger and buy a smoke machine. Not a really horrible price to get the proper tool.

Last edited: