TSB 22-2145 - Certain 2018-2021 Expedition & Navigator, Built On Or Before April 29, 2021, + Other Models - Momentary Neutral-Out Condition In Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nrgphx

Reaction score
Well dealership found heater hoses that were leaking coolant, and are going to replace the transmission control module... I showed them the TSB related to the neutral out condition (this is 100% what my vehicle is doing) but they want nothing to do with it... We'll see how it is when I get the vehicle back this Friday, but I have little hope the transmission issue is resolved, and I will very likely be back at the dealership sometime soon. Fingers crossed the issue will somehow go away lol.

nrgphx

Reaction score
UPDATE - picked up the Expedition from the dealer on a Saturday morning. They found DTC P07E6 in the continuous memory. They replaced the maine valve control body (JL1Z-7A100-A) due to finding a "leak in the main control valve body halves". Their diagnostic states "found transmission neutralizing when trying to shift from 5-3, and going into neutral causing code P07E6".

Driving home about 20 miles all freeway, I noticed hard shifts from 10 to 9 if I went to accelerate. Then it got worse and worse, then finally it wouldn't go into 10th gear. Trans temp jumped to 246, and I noticed white smoke behind me (maybe coolant overflow steam?). When keeping it in lower gears (1-7) I noticed some hard shifting, but the worst is a delay in shifting between 3-5 (feels like it stays in neutral for 0.3 sec). Trans temp went back to normal and stayed normal while I babied it back to the dealership.

5 Days Later - Get a call from teh dealership saying it is ready for pickup. Using the FordPass app, I can see they test drove it a total of 5 miles. Per the tech's notes, the literally re-replaced the exact same main valve control body (JL1Z-7A100-A). This time they attempted to clean the main control valve but could not get the clutch latch valve to move in it's bore. They told me Ford said they likely got a defective main valve body the first time and to replace it again... Luckily, all of this is under warranty still.

Anyway, I pick it up after the 2nd maint valve control body replacement in 2 weeks, and it does in fact drive much better now. It shifts into 10th gear again, and 90% of the shifts are very smooth. I have noticed that the shift between 3-5 is still funky. It doesn't make a loud clunking sound liek some other thread discussions have noticed, but it still feels like it hangs in neutral for 0.3 seconds. I know it still has to go through it's "learning process" again, so I'm hoping that will smoothen out over time, but honestly I have very little faith. I also noticed when in sport mode (4A activated), it does make a very low clunk noise and has a hard shift into 2nd gear. This is worse the harder I accelerate. I had a 2015 F150, and it also shifted a little rough in sport mode, but I feel like the F150 was how it should feel. The expedition still feels like something is wrong to me. I will give it a week or 2, see if time helps, but I am convinced the weird "neutral for 0.3 sec" feeling isn't normal, and most other expeditions do not experience this unless there is an issue. I'm not sure what else they can do though, short of replacing the transmission.

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
UPDATE - picked up the Expedition from the dealer on a Saturday morning. They found DTC P07E6 in the continuous memory. They replaced the maine valve control body (JL1Z-7A100-A) due to finding a "leak in the main control valve body halves". Their diagnostic states "found transmission neutralizing when trying to shift from 5-3, and going into neutral causing code P07E6".

Driving home about 20 miles all freeway, I noticed hard shifts from 10 to 9 if I went to accelerate. Then it got worse and worse, then finally it wouldn't go into 10th gear. Trans temp jumped to 246, and I noticed white smoke behind me (maybe coolant overflow steam?). When keeping it in lower gears (1-7) I noticed some hard shifting, but the worst is a delay in shifting between 3-5 (feels like it stays in neutral for 0.3 sec). Trans temp went back to normal and stayed normal while I babied it back to the dealership.

5 Days Later - Get a call from teh dealership saying it is ready for pickup. Using the FordPass app, I can see they test drove it a total of 5 miles. Per the tech's notes, the literally re-replaced the exact same main valve control body (JL1Z-7A100-A). This time they attempted to clean the main control valve but could not get the clutch latch valve to move in it's bore. They told me Ford said they likely got a defective main valve body the first time and to replace it again... Luckily, all of this is under warranty still.

Anyway, I pick it up after the 2nd maint valve control body replacement in 2 weeks, and it does in fact drive much better now. It shifts into 10th gear again, and 90% of the shifts are very smooth. I have noticed that the shift between 3-5 is still funky. It doesn't make a loud clunking sound liek some other thread discussions have noticed, but it still feels like it hangs in neutral for 0.3 seconds. I know it still has to go through it's "learning process" again, so I'm hoping that will smoothen out over time, but honestly I have very little faith. I also noticed when in sport mode (4A activated), it does make a very low clunk noise and has a hard shift into 2nd gear. This is worse the harder I accelerate. I had a 2015 F150, and it also shifted a little rough in sport mode, but I feel like the F150 was how it should feel. The expedition still feels like something is wrong to me. I will give it a week or 2, see if time helps, but I am convinced the weird "neutral for 0.3 sec" feeling isn't normal, and most other expeditions do not experience this unless there is an issue. I'm not sure what else they can do though, short of replacing the transmission.
Trade it

nrgphx

Reaction score
I'm sort of thinking that... Problem is what do I trade for? I really like having the "MAX" room behind the 3rd row. The suburban just doesn't do it for me. Can't afford a 2022 or newer, and those are the only ones with comparable tech imo. Could try a different expedition and hope for the best?

Z1Best

Reaction score
Have a 2019 Expedition MAX, driving OK but the Service Transmission Light keeps coming on from time to time. No codes or check engine lights, just annoying. Any suggestions.

nrgphx

Reaction score
When the light comes on, take it straight to a dealer. This happened to me a few times, and I actually lost 10th gear when it happened. The code goes away if I shut off the vehicle and turned it back on, but it does save in memory for at least a little bit of time. Also, the dealership told me all codes reported out are stored in Ford's database. I can see the warning on the FordPass app, so I know the info is getting sent to Ford some way some how. I would ask a dealer as soon as you see the light, and maybe screenshot your FordPass app with the warning on.

nrgphx

Reaction score
FYI - The Ford dealership did finally replace my transmission with a brand new unit. So far so good, shifting very smooth! I will say I'm still not 100% confident in the vehicle and probably never will...