TSB 22-2145 - Certain 2018-2021 Expedition & Navigator, Built On Or Before April 29, 2021, + Other Models - Momentary Neutral-Out Condition In Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*Update*

They replicated the issue! It took the tech driving around all afternoon, but they got it to misbehave!

Bad news: the TSB referenced at the top of this thread doesn't apply to my VIN (apparently).

Good news: the tech and my service advisor think they will just put a whole new transmission in it.
Update (if anyone cares ... I bet they don't)

Ford approved a new transmission, but it's backordered. Could be a month, could be 3 months. So I have my truck back and they'll call me when it shows up.

Soliyou

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update (if anyone cares ... I bet they don't)

Ford approved a new transmission, but it's backordered. Could be a month, could be 3 months. So I have my truck back and they'll call me when it shows up.
Why did they decide to replace the transmission rather than applying the fix in the TSB??

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why did they decide to replace the transmission rather than applying the fix in the TSB??
Even though the TSB clearly describes what my vehicle is doing, and my truck was built in the applicable timeframe, when they plug my VIN into the system, the TSB does not come up as applicable to my vehicle.

So because they duplicated the problem and acknowledge something is wrong, rather than tear down the transmission to try to diagnose the issue piece-by-piece (and maybe they figure it out and maybe they don't, and even if they do maybe the parts are back-ordered, and and and), they said it is more cost-effective for Ford to just replace the whole thing as a unit. It's fewer man-hours for them and gets my vehicle out of the shop faster. Plus, a single replaced unit is always going to be better quality than a pieced-back-together one (in my opinion anyway).

Last edited:

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
JFC, they seem to be having some pretty major issues with these model years.
I think the 4th gens clearly had some issues early on in the run. Mine was one of the first 5,000 off the line, so I think I have had more problems than most. My three "big issues" have been:

1) the 4wd hub actuator failure (which has been fixed on later model years)
2) the cam phaser issue (which is endemic, but not unique to the Expis as it affects F-150s as well)
3) this transmission issue

I have had a couple other small issues (jumpy wing mirrors, massaging seat control not working, etc.) but all of those were small and easily addressed. And all have been remedied on later model years.

I do still have the rattling turbo wastegate, but it's also endemic to all the 3.5 ecoboosts, so not a unique Expi problem. And with the exception of a few folks on here that have had their turbos replaced, I think Ford is basically telling us all to just live with that one.

All that said, I am incredibly happy with my truck overall and wouldn't think of giving it up. I love it. It is a fabulous road trip vehicle, serves our family well, is wildly comfortable, has great power, and looks great.

I have been lucky enough to find an excellent service department and service advisor that always makes a loaner available to me, and they have been really great about working through all my issues quickly. So yes, there have been issues, but I think most are because I was an early adopter and all have been resolved under warranty.

So if you (or anyone else) is scrolling through this forum thinking about buying a 4th gen Expi, my message would be: don't be put off by what you are reading. Most folks don't seek out a forum to tell the world how problem-free their vehicle is; most are on here because they have a problem. So the forum is certainly going to have a high concentration of folks with problems. These really are great vehicles and I would encourage anyone to consider one if they need a big, comfortable, powerful vehicle to haul a bunch of folks and stuff around.

JL Cruising

Reaction score
Thanks aggie for the post. I have the exact same vehicle bought early on as well(2018 Plat loaded). Wife loves the car to the point it almost got her killed on a hilly interstate and lost its gear on an uphill at 70 and found itself at 35mph. After the transmission reengaged with a violent slammimg of metal on metal and almost rear ended by vehicles behind, she had had it. Waiting for a rental car availability before Ford takes our car again.
Daughter also has 18 Exp Lim. It shifts/accelerates much better than the Plat. Just luck I’m sure.
My 150 2016 Lim is solid with the 6 spd.
Point being to all who arrive with the same problem I don’t believe switching manufacturers will help. Both Ford and Chev have class action lawsuits in regards to this issue(the joint developed 10 spd death star transmission). Hence why they have to fix it. My neighbor with a barely used Subby Ascent had the transmission recalled and fully replaced. Blame any manufacturer you want except the smart Germans with the wet double clutch vs. dry. Genius!
Good luck all. I will post updates as this 2018 Platinum tries to get fixed. Only 36k on the rig we bought new. Also driven lightly unlike my F150.

JL Cruising

Reaction score
Upate: Rental car available. Ironically it’s an Expedition2019 Platinum.
Dealership called and says the separator plate will be replaced. Should get the vehicle back in a week. 9/28/22 approximately. Anyone have any luck with this repair(separator plate)? Thanks

OP
OP
H

HazBeen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So that we may all know what it looks like, the Valve Body Separator Plate is item #2 in the Lower Valve Body illustration of the attached 2019 Expedition Workshop Manual document:

10-Speed Automatic Transmission - 10R80 - Description and Operation...

Attachments

• 10-Sp Auto Trans - 10R80 - Description and Operation - 2019 Expedition Workshop Manual.pdf
    797.4 KB · Views: 28

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even though the TSB clearly describes what my vehicle is doing, and my truck was built in the applicable timeframe, when they plug my VIN into the system, the TSB does not come up as applicable to my vehicle.

So because they duplicated the problem and acknowledge something is wrong, rather than tear down the transmission to try to diagnose the issue piece-by-piece (and maybe they figure it out and maybe they don't, and even if they do maybe the parts are back-ordered, and and and), they said it is more cost-effective for Ford to just replace the whole thing as a unit. It's fewer man-hours for them and gets my vehicle out of the shop faster. Plus, a single replaced unit is always going to be better quality than a pieced-back-together one (in my opinion anyway).
Dropped mine off yesterday for its new tranny. I'm in a lovely Explorer loaner and have been promised the work will be done next Wednesday.