TSB 22-2145 - Certain 2018-2021 Expedition & Navigator, Built On Or Before April 29, 2021, + Other Models - Momentary Neutral-Out Condition In Drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Team_Z

Reaction score
This has been an issue on the F150 since the 10 speeds came out over 5 years, this is actually great news because they are finally getting closer to getting rid of this problem.

I’ve had 7 trucks and now this Exp and only had 1 truck do this. No manufacturer is perfect, even Toyota.

P.S. I still park in my garage and drive my expedition almost everyday. I’m not really worried about the fire.

AAOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This happened to me yesterday and I almost got rear ended. 2018 loaded out platinum. I was going about 40 and punched it to change lanes. I instinctively moved over to the other lane as I was flooring it and it slipped out of gear. 58,000 miles on mine.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If this is the "slipping into neutral then slamming back into gear" issue, then it's at least encouraging that Ford has finally acknowledged it and is doing something about it. Long overdue, but it's better than the standard "could not reproduce" or useless fixes that Ford always knew wouldn't fix the underlying issue.
This is what I'm thinking...

Obviously, many of us on here have had to deal with the "I'm driving at highway speeds, punch the accelerator, the trans gets confused and drops out of gear, engine redlines, then the trans goes in to first, then it finds its correct gear...all while the traffic behind you is coming up your ass" problem.

If this addresses that, better late than never.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine is at the dealer getting this work done as we speak. My service advisor said there is another Expi in the shop (or maybe due in today) with the same symptoms for the same work.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Obviously, many of us on here have had to deal with the "I'm driving at highway speeds, punch the accelerator, the trans gets confused and drops out of gear, engine redlines, then the trans goes in to first, then it finds its correct gear...all while the traffic behind you is coming up your ass" problem.
Ahhh… misery loves company. :D

Back in December 2019, I started experiencing this.
Was pretty furious about it, because it would only happen once in a while (dealership couldn’t reproduce it), but when it did happen it created a safety hazard because you pull out expecting rapid acceleration—-and get nothing, except redline on your engine and slamming your trans back in gear when it decides it‘s ready to go again.

I remember posting about it on here, but at that time nobody else had seen or heard of it. I was bummed.

Sad to see that many other’s are afflicted by the same crap—but it does make me feel better knowing “it wasn’t just me” !

The conclusion to my issue? Well I got so pissed off back in 2019 that I left the dealership, went out on the interstate and repeatedly went from 40-to-80, “punching it” as if I was passing cars. The whole while I was recording the dash with my cell phone.

After less than an hour of this, I finally captured it on video.
I drove right back into the maintenance quick lane, hopped out, and walked over to the desk and showed it to the person that had just told me “we couldn‘t recreate your problem..”

I forget the exact words i used… but they took my truck straight in and handed me the keys to the loaner back.
The “fix” ended up being a complete replacement of the Main Control Valve Body.

And it actually did fix it. I never had it happen again.

What I wasn’t pleased with, was that no inspection of the transmission was performed. And I was pretty vocal in letting them know I was not happy that they were not also at least inspecting/rebuilding the transmission. I mean,… how can you NOT damage the transmission when you do that to it going down the interstate??!!

If I hadn’t had the long-term BTB warranty, I might have pushed harder for a new transmission at the time.
As it turns out, the transmission started giving me problems about 14 months later—after doing a good bit of towing.
And after it got bad enough, Ford finally replaced the transmission in March of this year. I feel CERTAIN that the transmission was weakened /damaged by that issue it was doing back in 2019, and it just took a while for the damage to degrade the performance enough so that it started to show in normal driving.

And while it is nice to have a brand new transmission, what gripes my *ss is that Ford forced me to deal with a weakened transmission (with gradually degrading performance) for TWO frikin years… two years….

When they should have just done the right thing, and tear it down to inspect / replace any damage caused by that crap.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Was pretty furious about it, because it would only happen once in a while (dealership couldn’t reproduce it), but when it did happen it created a safety hazard because you pull out expecting rapid acceleration—-and get nothing, except redline on your engine and slamming your trans back in gear when it decides it‘s ready to go again.

I remember posting about it on here, but at that time nobody else had seen or heard of it. I was bummed.

Sad to see that many other’s are afflicted by the same crap—but it does make me feel better knowing “it wasn’t just me” !

The conclusion to my issue? Well I got so pissed off back in 2019 that I left the dealership, went out on the interstate and repeatedly went from 40-to-80, “punching it” as if I was passing cars. The whole while I was recording the dash with my cell phone.

I drove right back into the maintenance quick lane, hopped out, and walked over to the desk and showed it to the person that had just told me “we couldn‘t recreate your problem..”

I forget the exact words i used… but they took my truck straight in and handed me the keys to the loaner back.

What I wasn’t pleased with, was that no inspection of the transmission was performed. And I was pretty vocal in letting them know I was not happy that they were not also at least inspecting/rebuilding the transmission. I mean,… how can you NOT damage the transmission when you do that to it going down the interstate??!!

If I hadn’t had the long-term BTB warranty, I might have pushed harder for a new transmission at the time.
As it turns out, the transmission started giving me problems about 14 months later—after doing a good bit of towing.
And after it got bad enough, Ford finally replaced the transmission in March of this year. I feel CERTAIN that the transmission was weakened /damaged by that issue it was doing back in 2019, and it just took a while for the damage to degrade the performance enough so that it started to show in normal driving.

And while it is nice to have a brand new transmission, what gripes my *ss is that Ford forced me to deal with a weakened transmission (with gradually degrading performance) for TWO frikin years… two years….

When they should have just done the right thing, and tear it down to inspect / replace any damage caused by that crap.

It’s all economics for them. Two years of you riding out their “fix” is a huge win. Why replace it early when it works and you can get 2 more years out of it? Sucks for you the customer, because it would be nice to have a new not damaged trans. But for them, it’s $$.
Same thing with the cam phaser issue. Patch as long as possible until you’re forced to fix or replace.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yes, you and I (and others) clearly have/had the same problem.

The real pain in getting it fixed is that the issue only presents during a long drive, i.e. 2+ hours. So it's not like they are going to be able to start the vehicle cold and replicate it. I did tell them I'd be happy to have them take it on a 3 hour road trip to replicate it, but of course they won't do that.

In any case, I was able to get it on video last week coming back from a road trip and sent the video to my service advisor prior to my visit. He thanked me and shared it with the tech working on the vehicle.

I am expecting a call today updating me on status...hopefully it's that they are going to fix it and not that they can't replicate it.

The stated fix in the TSB is a replacement of the valve body control plate, so hopefully that does it since they clearly wont be replacing the whole valve body

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*Update*

They replicated the issue! It took the tech driving around all afternoon, but they got it to misbehave!

Bad news: the TSB referenced at the top of this thread doesn't apply to my VIN (apparently).

Good news: the tech and my service advisor think they will just put a whole new transmission in it.

NukeLife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*Update*

They replicated the issue! It took the tech driving around all afternoon, but they got it to misbehave!

Bad news: the TSB referenced at the top of this thread doesn't apply to my VIN (apparently).

Good news: the tech and my service advisor think they will just put a whole new transmission in it.
That is excellent news.
Glad they were finally forced to cough it up.

I have about 5 months of driving on my new transmission now and all appears to be right. I haven’t towed with it yet because I wanted to let it get broken in easy.