Turn Signal Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have an 05 EB, here's my turn signal story:

- Sometime ago turn signal switch physically started coming loose to where it was just dangling, so I replaced it.
- Bought some cheap replacement from carparts.com (yes bad idea in retrospect), it was working fine for a few months.
- Then it started working only intermittently. However all 4 of them flash just fine when I turn on the hazards
- I figured the cheap replacement went bad, so I did a warranty replacement, still barely working
- Tested the relay, seemed fine.
- Figured the cheap replacement just sucked, so I spent a bit more on one from rockauto.
- Still no better

Gonna pickup a new relay today anyway and just hope it fixes it, but aside from that I'm stumped.

Let me know what you all think, can't believe I'm considering bringing it to a shop to fix a blinker, lol.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Tried a new relay anyway, no change...

So I try both left or right and it will blink once or twice then stop. The arm will physically toggle back to center after turning as should, just doesn't blink more than twice.

Thanks again all.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If memory serves your signals run through a turn signal module, that has the flasher and other goodies inside. If your good at wiring and troubleshooting, one of our resident electrical gurus should be able to shoot you the steps to test your switch and other components. Sorry I don't have that capability on my Android phone.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Let us know if you have a test light or digital multimeter and know how to use them. Otherwise you will be lost.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Let us know if you have a test light or digital multimeter and know how to use them. Otherwise you will be lost.

Very experienced with those tools (former Army radio repairman).

Some additional notes:

I saw a post on F150 forum from someone swearing it's the bulbs; one bad bulb will spoil the whole bunch. So I changed all my bulbs and the turn signals worked again. I thought all was well.

A few weeks ago blinkers stopped working (hazards still worked just fine): I would turn my blinker on and hear a single click from the steering column, but no flash.

Figured another bulb went out. So I replaced all my bulbs with LEDs. No change to the blinker (1 clicked from column, no flash). However now my hazard flash rate is way faster.

Stumped again, please let me know what ideas you all have. Not trying to bring this to a repair shop or stealership. Pep Boys was going to charge me $600 to change the combo switch! I already did that myself in less than an hour!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for your service and help keeping us free. I apologize for the way the country is going though....many have given the ultimate price for the non-sense that is going on now.
This may help you find the problem.

Attachments

• 2005 turn signals.pdf
    143.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hey all, long story short, I think the problem was a mix of a broken combo switch a failing relay and some bad bulbs. It's working now, but in the process I changed the combo switch originally because it physically broke. Somewhere after that some bulbs caused the intermittent issue, replaced bulbs all worked well. Then I think the relay went out, replaced the relay and working now. Glad to be done with these blinker issues lol, knock on wood!