Ultimate Exterior Retrofit - Turning a 2005 into a 2017

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jerryr

Reaction score
I have seen a few people around the forum mention upgrading exteriors and such, but I'm not sure where to start posting this project. If you would give me some good intel, it would be greatly appreciated.

I will be literally changing a 2005 Limited into a 2017 Limited.

BillAlex

Reaction score
Great idea. Be sure to post photos as you go. I would like to follow your project as I am thinking of doing the same thing.

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now this ought to be one for the history books. Are you just planning on front end and rear end or all the way around? I'm curious if the body panels off a 2017 would even work on a 2005 without some SERIOUS modifications.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 2nd gen Limited looks better than the 3rd gen, why do it? I guess that’s my opinion.
8D9915FC-0D51-400A-979C-D4FA45F23C89.jpeg
CD99F523-E2F0-4F38-A204-A437E94542BC.jpeg

Last edited:

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2nd gen Limited looks better than the 3rd gen, why do it? I guess that’s my opinion.
View attachment 27711
View attachment 27710

Wow, that picture of the second gen limited popped up on my screen and I thought it was mine. Identical accept for mine has amber lenses on mirrors and black skull caps. Also mine has vent shades on the doors. Other than that I could swear that was my truck.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you looked at what new & used 15/16/17 upper radiator grilles go for? Its a pretty coin for a lot of plastic.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that picture of the second gen limited popped up on my screen and I thought it was mine. Identical accept for mine has amber lenses on mirrors and black skull caps. Also mine has vent shades on the doors. Other than that I could swear that was my truck.

I almost bought another expy cream white Limited 2006, had the owner come down a little more I would have taken it to tool around with. Pretty trucks.

Last edited:

Transporter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My real question is why waste the money instead of just buying a 2018 if that is the look you want? With the 2018 you get the new engine and 10 speed tranny with all the technology and power, plus all the new interior stuff (BlueTooth, Display, plays FLAC, Handsfree, etc), and none of the bad stuff like rust, worn drivetrain, and the terribly designed front end on the Gen 2 that has to be replaced about every 30K miles!

But I will be happy to follow!

R W Carpenter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My real question is why waste the money instead of just buying a 2018 if that is the look you want? With the 2018 you get the new engine and 10 speed tranny with all the technology and power, plus all the new interior stuff (BlueTooth, Display, plays FLAC, Handsfree, etc), and none of the bad stuff like rust, worn drivetrain, and the terribly designed front end on the Gen 2 that has to be replaced about every 30K miles!

But I will be happy to follow!

Personally, I don't much care for the exterior of the 3rd gen. I have a 06 and I love the look of it on the outside. I do like a lot of the changes that they have made to the interior on the 3rd gen though. specifically moving the sifter to the center console. I am an old school manual transmission guy so out of habit i suppose i like having something to hold onto while driving.